Tell me about your 2021 mail order chick experiences so far

doughouse

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
Boston, MA
Our four chicks hatched and shipped yesterday, and now I'm doing that fun anxious thing where I check the USPS tracking info obsessively every 15 minutes. We ordered from Meyer--we had a good experience with them in the past, and our two orders from them arrived quickly (less than 24 hours for one and ~36 hours for the other). At this point in the day I imagine we're not getting them until tomorrow morning at the earliest.

Who else has ordered mail-order chicks this year? How was the experience?

I ordered chicks from Meyer in Jan or Feb for this past Monday’s hatch and I knew as I did it that it was probably a bad idea, but I couldn’t find anyone else with a low minimum order. I’m still waiting for my chicks - USPS says they’re guaranteed tomorrow by 3:30, but tracking hasn’t updated since Cleveland accepted them and none of the USPS people I called can find them. The 3rd person I called said they’ve been having FedEx help fly packages, but FedEx doesn’t use their tracking codes & there’s no way to tell where the chicks are until they are scanned somewhere.

I ordered 16 chicks from strombergs (before I realized they source theirs from privett) and they all arrived alive. I had 1 die in the first 24 hours, a male welbar, and then lost a female unexpectedly from unknown causes at almost 2 weeks old. They had shipped Monday and I got the call Thursday morning if I remember correctly.

I ordered chicks from Meyer in Jan or Feb for this past Monday’s hatch and I knew as I did it that it was probably a bad idea, but I couldn’t find anyone else with a low minimum order. I’m still waiting for my chicks - USPS says they’re guaranteed tomorrow by 3:30, but tracking hasn’t updated since Cleveland accepted them and none of the USPS people I called can find them. The 3rd person I called said they’ve been having FedEx help fly packages, but FedEx doesn’t use their tracking codes & there’s no way to tell where the chicks are until they are scanned somewhere.
I hope you get them today and they make the journey okay! Hopefully the fact that UPS still says they're in Cleveland doesn't mean anything: of the three shipments I've gotten from Meyer two of them didn't have any updates after being scanned in Cleveland but they still got to me fine. I think they don't always scan the baby chicks there, they just send them on their way.

Got my fingers crossed for you, though!

They showed up this morning! When we opened the box at the office, we were pretty positive that 2 were DOA and the lady kept apologizing on behalf of USPS. They were cold and unresponsive and kinda stiff and didn't look like they were breathing. Just for kicks, I stuck them under the heat lamp and dropped a tiny bit of electrolyte water on their beaks. They both breathed! One started doing the death gasp thing and I was sure she was a goner, but I kept bothering them with another drop of water every few minutes. They both perked up! Now the death rattle one is hogging the food dish and the other is cuddling with another. I'm not sure they're in the clear yet, but for now, they're all alive 🤞🤞🤞

I ordered two batches so far this year, one from My Pet Chicken and one from McMurray. All arrived alive and well - both shipped on a Monday and arrived Wednesday. One chick from My Pet Chicken died a few days later - possibly not recovered from shipping stress or something else - have to brood outside this year. If I recall the tracking on both never really updated much, and wasn’t helpful. I highly doubt the chicks went straight from the hatchery’s PO to mine with no stops!

I ordered 3 Polish from Meyer this year. They shipped out Mon night and arrived Thurs AM. That was a day longer in transit than I experienced last year from Murray McMurray, but they are now healthy and active (and adorable).

Though the outcome was positive in the end, the experience was extremely frustrating. Tracking was useless. There were no notices after Cleveland, just a guaranteed delivery of Thurs at 3:30 that never got updated. After finally getting the call from my post office that they arrived on Thurs., I raced to the PO only to find a locked door and no way to get the attention of the postal worker who was wearing ear buds and failed to hear me knocking for 45 minutes (actually banging and yelling... acting like a crazy chicken lady trying to save her babies)!

Drove around the building looking for other doors to knock on or people to hear me, but finally gave up and returned home. Tried calling the PO by phone, but there was no answer-- just kept getting a recorded message. Tried complaining to the USPS customer service hotline-- recorded message there, too. Finally the guy at the PO called me back and asked when I was planning to pick up the chicks, because he was worried about them! Apparently they stopped chirping and he had to knock on the box to make sure they were OK!!

Very stressful experience for the chicks and me. I could have picked them up at our main post office on Weds night if I had been informed of their delivery with proper tracking updates. Instead, they sat in a cold box overnight and had to wait till morning to be delivered to my local PO, only to be left sitting again unnecessarily for several hours.

USPS really needs to get their act together. My chicks were weak and stressed when I opened the box. The heat pack was stone cold and there was no Grow Gel available for them (just a sealed package of it in the box). I'm lucky they survived and it took a day of constant attention to get them over the hump.

Back
Top Bottom