tell me about your cochins!

Cochins are very sweet birds. I have been raising them for about six years, both bantam and standard. I had a Columbian roo one time that loved to flog me and I would football punt him gently and he would come right back at me. I have a Blue Mottled roo right now that is mean as a rattlesnake! He tries to flog me everytime I open the pen. All in all, I think they are a great breed. Most are docile and the hens are great mothers. Even the standard ones are very broody. Cochins are definitely on the top of my list.
big_smile.png

I am a little biased when it comes to Cochins. I have two pens full of them !!!! I have standard partridges and then a pen with blues, black, splashes, and whites. They are THE sweetest chickens I have ever raised. Protectors, NO!!! The roosters will squeal like a girl if you grab them up for something. They also hide behind the broodies when we are cleaning pens!!

I love my cochins! But brave? I don't think so. They are reallllly cold hardy, great with kids, and pretty good layers, and oh so fun to watch. But since I got cochins, I have only lost hens to predators. I think the roos use the hens as sheilds...

UPDATE!!!!!

well we are all very sad today!! our poor little guy was terrified of us,yesterday he somehow managed to excape is isolation pen,for idk how long. when i got home from soccer my hubby said he was in with the girl!!! well all i can do at this point is cross my fingers that he is not disease ridden. i have pretty high hopes all will be well because of where i got him. i go out today and let him out in the pen with everyone else. he even walked over for a few treats. well later i go out and the girls must have chased the poor guy under the coop!! i scare him out and figure he will get into the coop. well we just spent about 45 minutes in the dark and rain looking for him!! when i went out to shut the coop he was gone!! he was not under the coop and i didnt see him anywhere!!! my 4yr old is so upset,he loves the chickens and was so happy to get a rooster!! everyone cross your fingers he will be back in the morning! then cross your fingers i can catch him!! i feel horrible!!!!

Quote:
melilem, I think your husband has been out chatting with them as the roo and hens I got from you -the roo hides in the corner and the hens protect him as they stick their butts out and heads in towards him!

But I'll tell you, if you ever get a chance to pick up one of melilem's banty cochins, they are super sweet, easy to pick up and love to cuddle. Scooter (yes I asked permission from "Scootersmom" -lol) ooodle ooo's and he must be 4 months old now and yes, he does know what boy meets girl means...LOL!!!!
But I wish I had gotten them a year earlier or even started out with them, they are so awsome to watch, sorta like little kids in their Doctor Dentons running along.
big_smile.png

I hope your Cochin roo has been found safe and sound!

I love all my Cochins. I have standards and bantams in several different colors. The bantam roos are so tough! They stand up to the Jersey Giant roos and make them back down! LOL
The standard roos are much more laid back but then they probably figure to let the bantam roos rule the roost. Everyone free ranges together and my Cochin hens hatch all my eggs for me. I adore all my birds but the Cochins are special. That was my first breed.

9332_lacy_20_wks.jpg

This is Lacy at 20 weeks. This is my first year with the blue standards.

9332_peeps_20_wks.jpg

Peeps is one of my white bantams that we raised from our own flock. She's a cutie and spoiled to the extreme. This is her at 20 weeks.

9332_friday_pics_051.jpg

As you can see, all the chickens run together unless we want them to breed specifically then they go in a breeding pen. Bantams and standards and all breeds get along well. They have lots of room and plenty of food on the farm. And the white bantam pictured will take care of "his" flock of 60 plus hens and other roos. He's a mess and knows it!

Well i have a trio of standard partridge cochins and i think they are awesome birds. i would post pics but i can't figure it out. I also hav a pair of bantam black frizzled cochins and they are good too. MY partridge started crowing a month after the other and he is getting pretty loud but i dont mind at all.
smile.png
i wish i could figure out the picture thing.
sad.png

We have one banam cochin hen (Greta) ,and 2 pullet(bantam) cochins...(Princess Peach and Luna.)
They are full of personality and have been one of my favorites from our flocks so far...well--with the exception of our EE named Delilah.

My cochin hen is quite the brooder...of anything she sees that she thinks may need a hatching...LOL==

She has been on the nest for days trying to hatch invisible eggs...and shreeks at me everytime I get her off her nest to get out into the air for water and food....

She makes alot of noise--when I try to move her off the nest but never has pecked me...

I love the way those little feather dusters look when they come running to greet me!

I love my cochins. I have one buff standard hen, a black bantam roo (mean little sucker but we keep him because he's good to his women) and a bantam partridge hen (the roo's main squeeze).

The partridge (Tina) is a broody little thing. We've let her hatch a few clutches but I always have trouble finding new homes for the little guys. So, no clutches since last year. Our standard couldn't care less. She hurries up to lay her egg so she can go back outside!
lol.png
She's a great layer, too. I always get an egg from her.

Back
Top Bottom