Tell me about your Donkeys!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by NewToFarming, Dec 2, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Ok, I never thought about owning one but had been approached today and was asked if I would like to buy a gentle male for $100. I really did not get specifics as to age and such because I really wasn't sure how to answer them. I did say I would think about it and am now wondering the pros & cons of donkey ownership and hoping you could give me any tips.
    I would need to learn proper care and I already have the space and shelter but have no idea about anything else like feeding, health etc.

Thanks for any help you could give to help me to make a decision!

2. Appytaz

Appytaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Central Florida
    I have a mini donkey! They DEFINATELY need a buddy. They are not solitary animals. I have a horse (regular size & the mini donk) they are best buddies. Lots to learn about the little fellas but they are alot of fun and actually very smart and easy to care for. If you are familiar with horses, they have alot of similarities and alot of differences at the same time.

3. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thank you! This would all be very new to me. I do not have any experience in horses either. So, he would need a buddy then. If I do decide to give this a try, is it better to get a female? Do most do well around chickens?

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
  5. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    LOL...thank you for the link! This gave me alot of info and also what questions to ask! I appreciate it!

6. MsPony

MsPony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Yes to a buddy, I'm a little concerned about no horse experience though. Some can be VERY gentle, but donkeys are a breed their own and can be very strong willed. Go get to know him at his current home; groom, lead, pretend to do farrier work, pinch his neck like a vax, squirt water into his mouth like deworming, etc. Does he ride or will he be a pasture pet? Ride him first too. Also, tie tie tie! Make sure he front ties and side ties.

Brianna, who has been kicked down, bitten, dragged and gotten a broken foot from donkeys, zedonks and mules :p

7. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I know! I have been reading as much as I can find and I am seeing they can be quite the handful! I think my first question would be if he has been castrated!!! I am going to talk to the owner tomorrow and ask questions and go from there! Thank you!

8. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a 5 yr old mini donkey.
    I have had horse for over 30 yrs and I will tell you this little guy is more work than all three of my horses. We love him and he is fun but he had no training so lot's and lot's of work! He is into everything, drags things around his pen, get's into the chicken coop and makes a mess. I will say that once we teach him something he remember's it much faster than they horses, but teaching him to do things is much harder.
    We love him and are very glad that we found him.

9. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I have 2 a female named Daisy mae, who thinks she runs the barn yard and she is right. She carries the chickens around by their tail feathers ( for a long time I had nake butt chickens, until they learned to run from her). I used to spend alot of time in the correll fixing and building so when ever I would sit down she would come for a scratch. we would play motorcycle (using her ears as handle bars). burro in a box ( she loves cardboard boxes) and milk the burro ( I know I'm weird, but she liked it). Of course I was always gentle with her in our play and she would just love me up. One time she found me holding one of my new baby goats in my lap now she thinks she can sit on me also and she has fixured out how, first one back leg, then she moves, then the other back leg then she turns around and puts her chest on one of my legs, Ihave to watch it because she will push me off the chair trying to get closer. I keep trying to tell her us gals with big butts cant sit on others laps, but she just ignores me.

My male, gelding, we didnt want to add to the problem of so many extra burros, is named Walter, Walter was a rescue, he is a mini, with many attitude problems, he was from an exotic farm and is just "pet" quality. but to me he is special, it took awhile for him to get over his shyness of people and he had food deprevation, (I still have a sore spot on my leg from that one). but once he relized that he had all the food he wanted and that I wasnt going to take it away from him, he stopped kicking at me, he loves attention now, but Daisy doesnt like me to give him any so we have to sneak his scratches in, he loves to have his coat brushed. I know he didnt get any attention where he was before and you can see the scars from his before life.

I have alot of medical problems and both burros watch out for me, if I happen to fall, Daisy stands right by me and keeps the other animals away and I dont know how many times I have had to grab onto her to keep from falling, but she never moves and I know it has to hurt her because I really grab hard.

We have had problems with the people that own the land behind us, one day I couldnt figure out why Walter wouldnt leave me alone, always right beside me, no matter where I went. come to find out the owner was on his property and Walter was protecting me.

What I am trying to say is that to me burros have been the perfect animal for me, yes there has been problems, but the happiness and security they have brought me far out ways any problems.

It takes time and patience and lots of love and they have a completely different personality from a horse and they come by their name rightfully, stuborn as a burro.

Do lots of research and if the animal you are looking at isnt right for you check out others, go to a rescue, those animals have alot of love to give.

Good luck![​IMG]

10. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Your post made me smile! It sounds like daisy might be a bit spoiled? That is amazing how she helps you like that! Thank goodness Walter found you and has a good home now! Thank you so much for posting your experience with them! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by