Tell me all about incubating

They need to be incubated for about 5 full days before you'll see anything. A temperature of 99.5 degrees must be maintained constantly. You will need to get a thermometer and calibrate it to check your incubator with. You will also need to get a hydrometer, and salt test it, to check your incubator with.
Eggs need to be turned at least 3 times each day. I turn 5 times for the first week and 3 until lockdown if I'm turning manually. My NR has an auto turner so I don't need to worry about that anymore though.
You can store fertile eggs (let them sit at room temp on your counter or whatever) for up to 1 week before fertility starts to drop off. Some have had eggs stored for up to 3 weeks still hatch, but it's best to not wait that long. 1 week is a good period of time. You want to set all of your eggs in the incubator at the same time, or you'll have a staggered hatch. Those are bad for beginners. It's best to just avoid them. Set your eggs all at the same time, and only eggs from the same species. (For example, don't hatch duck and chicken eggs together, or chicken and quail eggs together, or duck and turkey, etc.) You got some pretty good answers to your other questions.
How many eggs are you planning on hatching at the same time? I would reccomend the Nurture Right 360 for your incubator. Heat lamps and heating pads are not good options at all. It is nearly impossible to hatch eggs with them, they spike, randomly shut off, are a fire hazard, and will need constant monitoring.
I found my NR 360 at a local TSC for $130. It's as good as a Brinsea (if not better) and much cheaper. I have been incredibly impressed with mine. I have had several 100% hatches, (the others were due to my error, such as a dented egg and several experimental hatches)
it maintains temp perfectly, has a large clear dome for a lid so you'll be able to see everything, auto turns up to 22 eggs, has external water ports, a built in candler, and quite a few more nice features. The only thing I would change is, the lid doesn't have a handle. I did put on 2 clear adhesive handles on each side. They work just fine. View attachment 2354727
I did used to have a Magicfly 12, which I was a big fan of. But then it crapped out after a year and became a chick death trap. So... I wouldn't go with one of those. It was great for the first year, but the frosted plastic is super annoying and it only holds 9 eggs. It started spiking and shutting off, and the alarm would go off all the time.
A NR would be a great incubator for you though. There's a whole thread on here about them. I wish I had started out with the NR instead of the Magicfly, but, hindsight's 20/20.
Leave the chicks in the incubator once they hatch just until they're fluffed up. About an hour and a half. They'll sleep a ton the first day. The second day they'll be more active. They won't start to eat and drink until they're about 48 hours old, the yolk will sustain them for 3 days after hatching. That is how day old chicks can be shipped via mail and not need food or water.
I candle almost everyday, starting on day 4, because I am very careful and there is a lot of day to day changes you can observe. As long as you do it carefully and in under 20 minutes it doesn't hurt a thing. Day 4 is when you'll start to be able to see stuff happening. There will be a little blood island with some spider veins and a tiny embryo in the middle. With white eggs you'll be able to see the heartbeat.
Lockdown on day 18, as in, turn off the turner and raise the humidity to around 65%. Once you notice the first external pip (Below)View attachment 2354746
Up the humidity to 75%. You might have to use a mist bottle and mist the eggs with warm water often to keep it up. Its very important it stays high enough though or your chicks will dry out and get stuck.
If you have any more questions let me know. I'm happy to help.
I know it seems like an intimidating amount of information now, but once you do the first hatch you'll get it. There's a learning curve, and everyone makes mistakes. Don't worry. Good luck! Keep us posted.
This all sounds so complicated 😵 guess I have A LOT to learn!

This all sounds so complicated 😵 guess I have A LOT to learn!
Lol! I know, sorry to bombard you with information. You'll get it soon, we'll help you! Once you see your first chick hatch, you'll forget all of your worries. It's a magical moment. There's always some that don't make it, but when you have all of those new fuzzballs in their brooder at the end of the day it's so worth it. You'll love it. Just look at this little newly hatched baby.
20200716_190433.jpg
She's in the NR, btw.
Its so fun anticipating how the chicks will look, and how many girls/boys, etc.
It really takes chicken math to a whole new level!

Lol! I know, sorry to bombard you with information. You'll get it soon, we'll help you! Once you see your first chick hatch, you'll forget all of your worries. It's a magical moment. There's always some that don't make it, but when you have all of those new fuzzballs in their brooder at the end of the day it's so worth it. You'll love it. Just look at this little newly hatched baby. View attachment 2354775She's in the NR, btw.
Its so fun anticipating how the chicks will look, and how many girls/boys, etc.
It really takes chicken math to a whole new level!
I'm not ready just yet. Ive got 10 week old purebred pullets still not laying. They are the eggs I want to incubate. Just doing preliminary research

I'm not ready just yet. Ive got 10 week old purebred pullets still not laying. They are the eggs I want to incubate. Just doing preliminary research
Ok! Sounds good. That's cool. What breed are they? Good job for researching before jumping in. Not many people are responsible enough to do that anymore, lol. You'll be ready by time they start laying, I'm sure.

Its a true pleasure and joy to hatch your own chicks. :)

Once you start, it will be a learning adjustment. But in no time, you'll get it all down.

Most incubators come with informative manuals, but otherwise, feel free to reach out to the community here with any and all questions.

(Personally, I really love hatching chicks. We are incubating eggs almost all the time, with some really neat looking chicks as a result! I mix up my breeds, so I'll never get any purebreds, but that's the excitement in doing a barnyard mix!)

Ok! Sounds good. That's cool. What breed are they? Good job for researching before jumping in. Not many people are responsible enough to do that anymore, lol. You'll be ready by time they start laying, I'm sure.
Barred Rocks. We jumped into feet first a couple of years ago into chicken ownership. Now our Golden comets are getting older and not laying. The plan was to replace them with barred rocks and keep a rooster but our straight run was a broiler bargin bin apparently and we ended up with one 1 hen out of 12. Once we realized this I bought 5 more barred rock PULLETS. So in the mean time we kept one roo and one of the golden comets we had to put down due to internal laying. My chicken math:
8 golden comets + 12 barred rocks - 10 barred rocks - 1 golden comet + 5 barred rocks = 14 birds total.
The plan is to keep only barred rocks from here on out. My one female of the first batch has begun laying consistent fairy eggs gradually increasing in size. The other 5 aren't old enough yet bit when they start laying all normal size eggs I plan to incubate.

Its a true pleasure and joy to hatch your own chicks. :)

Once you start, it will be a learning adjustment. But in no time, you'll get it all down.

Most incubators come with informative manuals, but otherwise, feel free to reach out to the community here with any and all questions.

(Personally, I really love hatching chicks. We are incubating eggs almost all the time, with some really neat looking chicks as a result! I mix up my breeds, so I'll never get any purebreds, but that's the excitement in doing a barnyard mix!)
We thought about that but children might be in our future so we want purebreds for 4h

Barred Rocks. We jumped into feet first a couple of years ago into chicken ownership. Now our Golden comets are getting older and not laying. The plan was to replace them with barred rocks and keep a rooster but our straight run was a broiler bargin bin apparently and we ended up with one 1 hen out of 12. Once we realized this I bought 5 more barred rock PULLETS. So in the mean time we kept one roo and one of the golden comets we had to put down due to internal laying. My chicken math:
8 golden comets + 12 barred rocks - 10 barred rocks - 1 golden comet + 5 barred rocks = 14 birds total.
The plan is to keep only barred rocks from here on out. My one female of the first batch has begun laying consistent fairy eggs gradually increasing in size. The other 5 aren't old enough yet bit when they start laying all normal size eggs I plan to incubate.
Wow! 11 boys?!?! Don't buy any lottery tickets, lol!
Sounds good. I think I have 15 birds currently. Good job getting rid of some though, that's responsible chicken math. How old are your BR pullets? I'm waiting for my oldest pullet to start laying, it's been a century :gig

We thought about that but children might be in our future so we want purebreds for 4h
Awesome! Good planning ahead. Purebreds are fun. I have a ton of mixed breed though, because...well, it's so fun to see how they turn out! I can't help it, lol.

Wow! 11 boys?!?! Don't buy any lottery tickets, lol!
Sounds good. I think I have 15 birds currently. Good job getting rid of some though, that's responsible chicken math. How old are your BR pullets? I'm waiting for my oldest pullet to start laying, it's been a century :gig
I'll have to check my calendar but I believe she was hatched mid april. Started laying about a week ago

Back
Top Bottom