Tell me all about pheasants

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
I'd like to get some pheasants, but I honestly know nothing about them. I'd like to get some rare breeds to hatch on my own to help preserve the breed. How do you house your pheasants? What are some things I should know before building them an enclosure and getting them? Are they real loud? Any info and tips will be appreciated, thanks!

That's great we need more breeders out there.But you should not start out with rare breeds.First you need to try the common breeds such as ringnecks,goldens,amherst,silvers,or reeves.They are not as easy to breed as chickens.Just as easy to raise,but not to breed.You can't just throw 2 birds(male and female)into a pen and expect them to breed.A pen 6 x 12 is okay,but if you can go bigger,the better for the birds.
Which breeds are you thinking of raising?
In N.H.,Tony.
Quote:

Well if I were you I'd start by going to gbwf.org. Look around at breeds you like and read about them. After that cage constructions comes into mind, no matter how rare of breed you want to raise if your new with pheasants I'd start with something simple like goldens, lady amherst, ringnecks, or silvers then work your way up from there. I'd start by building some 10'x10' pens and any of the pheasant I already listed.

Back
Top Bottom