Tell me how long please?

andreanar

Crowing
5 Years
May 16, 2014
Finger Lakes, NY
Tell me how long your girls sit in the nest before they actually lay?! Mine seem to sit for at least an hour, sometimes they get up and eat, scratch and peck, then go back try some more.
Why sit if their not ready? Its like sitting on the toilet when you don't have to poop.
15189808771861056736835.jpg

Mine vary as well...some like to hang out in there and make the nest beautiful and perfect as they sit and some run in there like they just can't hold it anymore and plop em out. And others that will sit there after dropping one til they get bored or hear someone outside just having too much fun and then move off. Just depends on the lady...some like to clean house and some don't...lol

Last edited:
That’s quite normal. Some spend an hour or so, some only five minutes and sometimes they’re in and out and in and out. My nest boxes are always a hive of activity in the morning and all the girls take a little look at how the others are doing!

Each of my 5 girls take 35 minutes, give or take a minute or two. Of course if I come out to give them a treat, that can disrupt the time line, because they will leave the nest and run out to get a treat, unless they are about to lay. GC

Well, ,my coop is 20 minutes away from my house, at my sisters house, and she is in the hospital so I like to collect the eggs while I'm there. Everytime I get ready to leave, another girl goes in to lay! Then I wait another hour or more!

:lau I know what you mean, some of my girls will sit in the nest for 2 or 3 hours, get out to grab a quick bite to eat, and then get back in the nest; be there for 3 or 4 minutes and lay the egg :gig

THIS!
It varies from hen to hen, but they sure are funny little creatures. Maybe they get braxton-hicks or something. :lau

I had one hen sitting the other day. (She's still new at it.) She had nothing under her. So I go and fill up the feed dispenser. And when I turn around, she has jumped off the nest and laid her egg right there on the floor next to the feed dispenser. Laid it in the blink of an eye. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom