Tell me I am doing the right thing

Thank you everyone so much. You really gave me the strength to do what had to be done.

We just got back from the shelter. It is a really nice one, where the dogs all live together in a big room with couches and dog beds everywhere. There is a nice big yard where the dogs go out to play. They put her in a cage in the dog room, where she cuold see the other dogs and everybody could get used to her. Immediately, she was barking and wagging her tail, eager to get out and play with the other dogs. She is going to love it there!

I feel much better now. I am sort of relieved, now that's it done. I know I did the best I could for everybody involved.

That was a really tough tough thing to do. Especially since your mother passed away. But it had to be done. I'm glad you got the strength to get it done.

So much empathy here. We found out that one of our dogs was a killer when we moved to our new farm and got chickens. She mauled two chickens before finally mauling a third and killing three one day. Like you, I held the sweetest, darling little girl (a barred rock named Baby Bar) as she died in my arms. She was everybody's friend. Always came to get me when it was time to go in for the night. "Come on! It's bedtime!" (said sweetly). Had to walk with her to the coop door before she would go in, and if I left too soon, she would come and get me again. LOVED that darling.

The rage I felt toward that dog. Once Baby Bar was dead, and the other stabilized and being watched by my husband (who came home from work because I was so utterly devastated), I put the dog in the car and drove her to the no-kill shelter. I have volunteered there and wrote a grant for them also, so I was hoping they could help me find a home or a foster home... but they had moved. I decided to take her to the home we haven't sold yet (and are sometimes living in). She has been there ever since. She's lonely, and it's not the best situation for her. I have come to accept her, but it's not fair for her to be just tolerated.

I looks like my daughter and her boyfriend might rent the house and take on the dog as well. She's a very friendly dog, and the boyfriend is very good with dogs. If not, I am going to approach the shelter (I found their new location) and see if I can get her on a waiting list or something.

You've done the right thing. She will find a family that will love her. You will find that your farm is calmer, the other animals calm, you not constantly on the alert. Your chickens will probably be healthier and happier without the stress.

Thanks everybody. I just talked to the shelter and Rose has already found a new home. I am very happy for her and for us, too. The other 3 dogs are getting along just fine without her. I think the remaining hens are laying a little better now, too. I know I did the right thing by helping her find a new home. Thank you all for your support.

I'm glad to hear that! It seems small dogs have a high success rate of finding homes in shelters. Sometimes rejoining an animal is the kindest thing for both the family and the animal itself.

smile.png

Absolutely, my grandmother never had a dog in the house, "dogs make dirt".

When I was overly concerned about what the dog thought or felt, My mother reined me in, "It's a dog, A..." Its a good go to when I have to make a tough choice, remember, it is an animal, they deserve wonderful treatment an a hopefully forever home, but this was a trial that didnt work out. Its okay, once the decision is made and a postive outcome is a reality, the weight just lifts off, doesn't it?

Great that she found home so quickly, would you have tried to rehome yourself if she did not?
-A

Back
Top Bottom