Tell me I am doing the right thing

RedheadErin

Songster
8 Years
Nov 30, 2011
I need backup, y'all. My mom died in Septhember, leaving behind a small terrier. She is the sweetest dog ever, and of course I took her in. I love her to bits.

However, she kills chickens.

At first, I thought we could handle the problem. Keep her on a leash outside, never let her be unsupervised, etc. The problem is, she is OBSESSED with chickens. She sneeks past us and gets out. She gets in the basement where the sick-chicken pens are. She NEVER misses an opportunity to chase, spy on, torment, and catch the birds. The way our house and yard are laid out, there is just no way to keep the dogs and birds separate. My other 3 dogs dont bother the chickens, except once in a while to chase one and see it fly.( I still dont let them out unsupervised, however.)

Friday we went out for lunch and put the dogs in the ouside run. When we came home, my mom's dog had got out of the run and attacked 12 of my 19 birds. 7 were dead or almost dead when we got home, and 5 more injured. One of those injured was my beloved Molly, the last survivor of our original 6. She passed away last night.
hit.gif

So the dog has got to go. I've had other animals that got obsessed with something or other, and I know that once they get something in thier heads there is no stopping them. I have done some research on the internet and most people say, you can manage a dog like that, but you can never really trust them. I know my family; we are sort of airheads, and there is no way we could mamage the dog perfectly and never make any mistakes. The mistakes we have made already lead to chicken injuries and deaths. My 13-year-old son is home with the dogs on days I have to work, and it is too much responisbility to put on him. Too much worry to put on me. I am an EMT and I can't be at work all day, wondering in the back of my mind, what is going on at home.

I have been giving this much thought all weekend long, going back and forth, trying to find a way to make everything work out. As Molly was dying in my arms, I realized, THERE IS NO WAY TO MAKE THIS WORK OUT. The dog has to go.

It is still a very painful decision however. I have been crying all weekend over it. I promised my mom I would look after her dog, but I never in my life thought this would happen. I thought I could portect everybody and keep everyone safe.

So the dog is going to the shelter today. I am heartbroken. I feel like a real **** for not keeping my pormise to my mom (which as my husband pointed out, is rather stupid because my mom never kept a promise in her life, as far as I know.) I feel even worse for abandoning the dog in a shelter. I'm certain she will find a new family soon, because she is a very nice dog in all other respects. But still......

So please, everybody, tell me I'm doing the right thing.

I agree, you are doing the right thing. The health and safety of your animals should be the top priority. Obviously, the chickens are not happy to have this dog around and your dogs are probably negatively affected by the stress of you trying to constantly control the terrier. I know when one of my dogs gets yelled at or spoken to sharply, they all think they are in trouble. It sounds like the situation has been very stressful for all the animals and humans in your home. You tried to make it work and have unfortunately suffered severe consequences. Please don't feel guilty- you are definitely doing the right thing. I'm so sorry for all your losses.

So much empathy here. We found out that one of our dogs was a killer when we moved to our new farm and got chickens. She mauled two chickens before finally mauling a third and killing three one day. Like you, I held the sweetest, darling little girl (a barred rock named Baby Bar) as she died in my arms. She was everybody's friend. Always came to get me when it was time to go in for the night. "Come on! It's bedtime!" (said sweetly). Had to walk with her to the coop door before she would go in, and if I left too soon, she would come and get me again. LOVED that darling.

The rage I felt toward that dog. Once Baby Bar was dead, and the other stabilized and being watched by my husband (who came home from work because I was so utterly devastated), I put the dog in the car and drove her to the no-kill shelter. I have volunteered there and wrote a grant for them also, so I was hoping they could help me find a home or a foster home... but they had moved. I decided to take her to the home we haven't sold yet (and are sometimes living in). She has been there ever since. She's lonely, and it's not the best situation for her. I have come to accept her, but it's not fair for her to be just tolerated.

I looks like my daughter and her boyfriend might rent the house and take on the dog as well. She's a very friendly dog, and the boyfriend is very good with dogs. If not, I am going to approach the shelter (I found their new location) and see if I can get her on a waiting list or something.

You've done the right thing. She will find a family that will love her. You will find that your farm is calmer, the other animals calm, you not constantly on the alert. Your chickens will probably be healthier and happier without the stress.

Thanks everybody. I just talked to the shelter and Rose has already found a new home. I am very happy for her and for us, too. The other 3 dogs are getting along just fine without her. I think the remaining hens are laying a little better now, too. I know I did the right thing by helping her find a new home. Thank you all for your support.

I believe you are doing the right thing. Aside from the terrier teaching your other dogs terrible habits probably IMO that one dog is destroying what you have worked hard for including your family with the drama it's causing.

I also think you have made the right decision.
hugs.gif

So sorry for the loss of your mother, and the catastrophe you have experienced with your chickens. Try to put this behind you and focus on your life and family.

You have tried.
Looking after your mom's dog might actually mean finding it a good home, a home where it is loved and not endured.
Looking after its welfare might mean taking it to a no kill shelter and keeping it visited.
Dogs without farm manners, do not belong on a farm.

This not a doing the right or wrong thing. There is no right or wrong. Only what needs to be done. It's a sad reality that we all can't do everything that people ask us to do. If it was my situation, the dog would have to go. I love my mother, but I don't care for the dog even tho he's cute. Your decision is not going to make everyone happy. Offer them the dog.

I "loved" these 2 roos I had, but they crowed 24/7, and I worried about the neighborhood complaining and then the other 5 would have to go. . So the 2 had to go. I hated it, but I had to think of the other animals that I'm supposed to protect.

Everyone is not going to agree with you. Offer them the dog.

ps. Terriers are not good students when it comes to don't kill a chicken.

I'm glad you posted this, I think I have the courage to post my delemma.

Last edited:
Terriers are tricky little things. You've tried, and honestly sounds like you've done more than I would have. Kudos for making an honest assessment of your family and your ability to manage this dog and taking the appropriate steps. I agree it sucks, but honestly this dog will probably be a lot happier at another home where it has more freedom. If you mom were like my mom, she would be so, so upset to realize her dog was stressing you like this and fully support you in your decision.

hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom