Tell me what you feed your geese in the winter...

lol.png

This is very interesting, because mine have never gone in at night, except my tiny babies without a mum. They love it outside, seem to have very good eyesight. When my first ones were 3 months I started leaving them out at night, and I´d check them every night before I went to bed, and they learned that the torch meant I was coming to visit them, and they´d make a lot of noise. I´d leave them just a little corn to distract them so I could get away!
lol.png

That was when they were little, and slowly I stopped doing it to get them out of the habit. Now if I go down to check on them at night with my torch, I have to keep quiet. Just walking around with the torch is ok, everyone stays quiet. (All together 26 of them now) But if I speak to just one bird, they all start hollering, get up and come over to see me. I don´t believe geese are afraid of the dark. My chickens roost first, of course, the ducks settle down for the night, and on a moon-lit night I can see my white geese (not the greys, obviously) wandering around eating grass.
love.gif

Mine are the same way. They always sleep outside and the dark doesn't bother them a bit!

It is pouring rain right now everything was iced up this morning, everyone was ready to go in at little passed 3 today. except one EE she was soaked but just took her sweet time up top of property scratching around I didn't think she'd ever go in, I looked and felt like a drowned rat. Now we have snow after midnight, at least that's better than pouring rain.

livin we have quiet a few poisonous snakes and spiders one spider called a brown recluse is very poisonous I got bit by one about 6 yrs ago and they thought I might lose my finger but fast work by Drs. and 2 very painful shots in the bottom helped save my finger but boy was it painful [the shots and the bite]. Our most poisonous snakes are Copper heads and Timber rattlers. but our Black snakes keep them down pretty good around here.
There are rattlers here, but the wost snake is the coral, I think it may be called king snake in some places. It´s red, white and black. Then the spiders...there are a number, but you can lose a finger, etc...makes a terrible mess of feet, legs, etc, that get bitten. Bad ones live in banana trees. But also there are very poisonous caterpillars that live around bananas too, and other trees, hairy, brightly-coloured ones, don´t know the name in English. There are black scorpions near our place, and apparently that really hurts like a very very bad bee sting for 24 hours, but then nothing, and a yellow one that can kill. They´re far less common, but a little boy died 2 weeks back with this sting about an hour away from us. We have mosquito net and draft excluders around the window and doors so that nothing can enter the bedrooms at night, and during the day the bedroom doors stay shut. There are mountain lions, wild dog-types, like foxes, and ocelots. The mountain lions stick to the forest areas, and THERE ARE NO BEARS!
celebrate.gif

Well, serv, as you probably know from history, there used to be bears in Europe, but people killed them all. And there are poisonous spiders in England, there´re increasing in number, so watch out!
ep.gif
Those spiders wouldn't dare cross the border would they?

We have coral snakes in Florida where I was born but never saw one. Lots of other poisonous snakes there too. Being tropical. and about bears they'd all be gone here if hunting wasn't monitored. I like bears just don't want them tearing the fence down around the property.

Those spiders wouldn't dare cross the border would they?

We have coral snakes in Florida where I was born but never saw one. Lots of other poisonous snakes there too. Being tropical. and about bears they'd all be gone here if hunting wasn't monitored. I like bears just don't want them tearing the fence down around the property.
lol.png
Spiders hitch free rides on board bunches of bananas and other tropical fruit...that´s my guess as to the poisonous ones in England, because I never heard of poisonous spiders there when I was younger...it´s only recently that people there are getting nasty bites. ´ve not seen a coral snake on our property, but i did see one slip across the road a little distance away, so they are around. I have 5 cats here which also help keep the creepies population down.....It would cost us a fortune to fence our property against bears, so I´m extremely pleased there are none in Brazil!

lol.png
Spiders hitch free rides on board bunches of bananas and other tropical fruit...that´s my guess as to the poisonous ones in England, because I never heard of poisonous spiders there when I was younger...it´s only recently that people there are getting nasty bites. ´ve not seen a coral snake on our property, but i did see one slip across the road a little distance away, so they are around. I have 5 cats here which also help keep the creepies population down.....It would cost us a fortune to fence our property against bears, so I´m extremely pleased there are none in Brazil!
I know I saved for 3 yrs and a lot of convincing to get the welded wire replaced. This fence is put up right and very sturdy probably be here hundreds of years after we're gone.

South Fla, has more non native species of animals than native just about. even monkeys which was unheard of when I was growing up there.

I know I saved for 3 yrs and a lot of convincing to get the welded wire replaced. This fence is put up right and very sturdy probably be here hundreds of years after we're gone.

South Fla, has more non native species of animals than native just about. even monkeys which was unheard of when I was growing up there.
Oh, monkeys I like...here there are spider monkeys which w don´t see much of, howler monkeys which live fairly close-by, we hear them sometimes when they get up a chorus! And marmosets.....so diminutive and sweet. Especially the babies! They do rob bird´s nests, though! It´s amazing little birds aren´t wiped out...marmosets, toucans, hawks, all rob the nests, and you see these tiny little birds trying to protect their nests...then when it´s all over, they start again......tough life.

Oh, monkeys I like...here there are spider monkeys which w don´t see much of, howler monkeys which live fairly close-by, we hear them sometimes when they get up a chorus! And marmosets.....so diminutive and sweet. Especially the babies! They do rob bird´s nests, though! It´s amazing little birds aren´t wiped out...marmosets, toucans, hawks, all rob the nests, and you see these tiny little birds trying to protect their nests...then when it´s all over, they start again......tough life.
Such as the way of the wild.. do you lock your chickens up at night? or can they be left to find their own roost too?

Ever had bears or mountain lions come around where you live? hey since we put the no climb fence up I don't think the bear has been in that part of the property, I think it would have a hard time climbing that kind of fence. The welded wire it just bent over. Mountain lions we have and they have been close some folks across the river saw one.

Bears are in the same county, but not my neighborhood. I am told we have lions in our hills, but have not personally seen them. I mostly see deer, elk, marmuts, snow hares, hawks and eagles. I hear coyote and have seen scat on my walks, but have not seen them on my property. Of course, we also have raccoon and mink... my two biggest predator threats.

Glad to hear your new fence is doing its job so well! Bear attacks are not uncommon in northern Utah and are quite serious. I tend to avoid "bear country" whenever possible.

By the way, our wild turkey flock has started moving back to their old stomping grounds this week. It's fun to see them on my daily walks again.

Back
Top Bottom