Tell me what your experience is with Polish Crested.....

I got a rare and exotic polish with my chick order. Feel sorry for the little girl, all the other chicks laugh and call her names, won't let her play any chicken games, and pick at her head dress too!! She has a little bit of a bloody head, will blue kote tomorrow. She really is an outcast, and small compared to the duel purpose breeds she's with. She is our favorite though, even if she runs and screams when we attempt to pick her up. ..........stan

I agree with Stan. Ours our almost 5 weeks. My son wanted Polish along with the Brown Bovans and SLWs that I got. Both of the Polish are very flighty. While the others have tamed down and some step up on our hands the Polish always run when we approach them. The presumed female is always sitting by herself in the corner and doesn't act as part of the flock. The presumed rooster greedily gobbles every food in sight. Both seem much more wild than the others. However, we have decided that is their nature and they do eat from our hands now so figure they can enjoy life as they see fit and we'll be happy with them. The rooster, if that's what he turns out to be will have to move to a farm however as they don't allow them in our City. They were the only ones of our breeds that the hatchery would not sex. Don't know why. Anybody know? Ken

Quote:
OMGosh my two new little girls look like your baby as a chick. I hope they turn out as beautiful as your girl!!

And I have three polish that I absolutely love! They are different but lots of fun. The rooster is always the first running up to me to see what I have. He is so sweet although he doesn't yet know he is a roo. The hens are silly and are easlily startled since they can't see for the feathers too well. I will always have some polish.
ETA: they lay ALMOST every day.
sharon

Last edited:
I have a white crested black polish bantam, Charley. He is great. Very human friendly, good to his two mixed bantam girls, not a single feather missing on them, but eggs always fertile. The 2 girls are not polish, so the eggs they hatched were mutts, the roo has the wacky "doo" but got his coloration from his mama, and the 2 baby girls have small brushed back doos. They are all sweet, but the daddy, Charley, is the best. He does have a problem with the girls picking out his head feathers...he never even squawks at them. Gives them all the treats. He is a real honey. But he is like the "little dog of the chicken world" to other roos, therefore, he and his girls have their own coop/run.

I have one white crested black Polish roo. All of the other Polish I had were taken by preditors, none of the other breeds were. They were young and had not grown enough crest to be limiting their eyesight yet, so that is not the reason. Anyway, the roo I still have is constantly pecked by the other roos and hens. Like Treehugger said, he just stands there with his head down to give them a better shot at it. I have put a rubberband around the outside feathers and gave him a little ponytail and that helps some. He is not timid and will let us walk up to him and pick him up anytime. He would like to be the top roo but is too small to fight the big ones. He has a very pretty, classic crow. I probably won't have any more, though.

We got 4 chicks last spring and 2 of them were Polish (a hen and a rooster). The kids adored the hen until she got eaten by something. The rooster was fine for a while until he started trying to attack us. He got rehomed and died within a few weeks. I think they're very pretty but I'm not getting any more.

My friends had some, and the roosters were the most vicious, blood-thirsty, unforgiving birds I've ever met. They would mercilessly attack anyone who walked into the back yard. She finally gave them away. Polish are not a breed I would ever consider having again. Good luck with yours though!

Quote:
LOVE that roo! I'm hatching some now, never had any before. I don't care if they never lay an egg, or never have any personality at all. My orps give me more eggs than I need anyway, plus they are my buddies. I just love the way they look. I'll be taming them like I did my others and if any are mean, well, there's a couple options. Keeping a mean one is not one of them. I've heard the mean ones are the tastiest.

Back
Top Bottom