Tell me which Breeds to get?

JenniferC

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Hi all,

I'm a new member here, and I'm sure people post all the time with this question-

I plan to get 2-3 chickens for a very small backyard "flock." I think legally we are only supposed to have 2(as we have a dog, and the law says 3 small animals are OK), but everyone in Seattle seems to think that you can have 3 chickens, so I doubt anyone would balk if we have 3.

Anyway, my choices seem to be Barred Rocks, Silver Laced Wyndanottes, Buff Brahma, and Silkie.

I want a chicken or chickens that are very friendly, as I have small-ish kids.

I want enough eggs that we don't have to buy cartons are the grocery store, or at least not often. However we are not huge egg eaters- so 6-9 a week is fine.

I am scared of getting something too broody. Having a strong urge to produce offspring myself, I think I would feel sad having to repeatedly break a hen of her urge to sit on eggs. Or maybe I'm anthropomorphizing here. (I figure silkies are out then, but what about brahmas?)

I want hens that are pretty. Much as my friend loves her RIRs, I find them unattractive.

Thanks for your input. As I am not supposed to have more than 2 or 3, I want to be happpy with my choices.

Thanks!
Jen

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and not too loud- though this may be an individual temperament thing, rather than a breed issue.

Brahmas are VEry friendly and I read they are very good layers (mines just about a month short of laying.) BRs are of course just great all-around chickens.
My light brahma loves to picked up & petted, and my 3.5 yr old would get my BRs and lay them on their backs & they would ride in her basket on her tri-cycle. So, both, IMO (haveing a 3.5 yr old & 1.5 yr old) are really great for kids.
kristi

Thanks, I think I'm just hoping people will tell me it's OK to get a Brahma, despite their reputation of being broody. They are sooo pretty.

I do plan to get at least 1 Barred Rock. I don't know if I should throw in a wyndanotte or double up on another breed.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, Jennifer!
frow.gif

Barred rocks, Australorps, Wyandottes, are really good egg-laying breeds that have not gone broody for me.

Welcome to BYC. I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice from which to make your own choices.

Here's my two cents: If you like Brahma's then definitely get at least one. I have one, Loretta, and she's a doll. She is almost 1 and has not gone broody. If she does, I'll deal with it then.

The Wyandotte's (Silver & Gold laced) are beautiful, though I'm told that they don't lay as well as Brahmas and Buff Orpingtons ... and RIRs.

I also have a Buff Orpington, Barbie, and she is very sweet and lays light brown eggs very regularly.

A lot about the friendliness of a chicken is how they are handled when they are little, so if you have young children who handle them regularly, they'll typically be happy with and/or accepting of being handled.

Are you planning to have a Rooster? You could end up with a roo or two if you get baby chicks. I don't think that you'd be looking for one given your plan. And they can be mean to little children.

All the best with your chicken shopping.
D.gif
D.gif
D.gif

You cannot have a rooster within the City limits of Seattle. I just can't remember if you're limited to 3 or 4 hens. I think you are right that you can have three legally.

There is really no right answer to your question. Just pick breeds which look good to you, as you have to see them every single day. You have to feed them every single day. So, don't get something you don't find beautiful to yourself.

Barred Rocks are a good choice, solid creatures. The hardest thing for you is going to be finding how to buy just 3 birds. You won't be able to get day olds with such a small order. So you'll probably have to find people selling POL pullets.

Oh, we definitely can't have a rooster. Very against city rules- I live in central seattle- on less than a 10th of an acre.

another vote against Silkies I suppose- I'd bet they aren't sexed, whereas the bigger breeds are.

You can order barred rocks and many other breeds but not brahams in orders of 3 chicks as the limit from meyer hatchery but it will cost you signifigantly more for an order under 15 to 25 chicks. My pet chicken also has small orders and probably has brahmas in one color or another. My wyndotte is great eye candy but not very friendly and she was handled allot as a chick and all her chicken friends are very friendly.
Good Luck,
Henry

Hi Greyfields!

I'm going to get them from a local feed store (well, not super local, just nearby.) That's why my choices are limited. The only oplace you can order just 3 chickens is to go to my pet chicken- but it's quite expensive.

Back
Top Bottom