Tell me why you keep Roosters...

I 1st have to apologize, I am very ignorant of my e-mail; for those who have replied using my e-mail. also I am slow to understand this web site. That aside, I have a Rhode island red rooster, monster rooster named by my grand son. The rooster jumped on him once. I keep him to fertilize the eggs. He protects the flock. But I need to get rid of 3 new roosters. I thought Rhode Islands were dual purpose, so dinner time. But at the same time I also have 4 new hens. Can one rooster fertilize? Very new to the chicken craze. Yet it is fun. 10 hens

1-6 month old Black Ameraucana Roo with 2 Black hens
1-6 month old Gold Laced Wyandotte Roo -with 1 Blue Laced hen
-5 month old Welsummer Roo...with 7 of the hens

(the Marans are from Blue Haven Poultry from the William Marrow Marans line)
1-5 month old French Copper Splash roo with 6 French Copper Splash hens
3-5 month old French Copper Blue 1 light-1 med-1 very dark blue-no hens
3-5 month old French Black Copper over 2 French Black Hens
( 1 of the Blue roo has a new home-holding till they get the pen finished) still have at least 1 Black and 1 Blue to Re-home

1-1yr Black Old English Rosecomb Bantam over 1 white and 1 Black

3 mystery Bantam roo-over 4 mystery bantam hens
(4 Buff Orpington Hens)

Why do I have so many ...I don't know ...I am brainstorming for ideas to reasonably house in separate areas in spring with big runs hoping/trying to keep at least 1 of each roo...Love them all...chickens make me happy... :)

I never wanted roosters, thought they were unnecessary because I don't want to raise chicks, just want eggs. But I got two extra chicks from the hatchery with my order. I thought maybe I would keep them a while to see how things worked out and I have gotten attached to them. They get along well. One (New Hampshire) is def. the dominant and the other (Partridge Cochin) submissive. They are both beautiful and they do keep an eye out for the hens. Red keeps the hens from fighting among themselves. Red does love to tease my dogs though and I worry sometimes that he might just push his luck too far one day. I will keep them unless and until he decides to attack me. That is my red line that he better not cross or he ends up in a stew pot.

we have 17 all different kind of hens and two bantam sebright roosters who are so funny and bossy and mean that i always have to go to the coop with a rake. i love them. they are mick jagger and shabba ranks. its true what everyone says...they look out for the hens, warn when there is a predator, let'm all know if they find something great to eat and they round out the comedy show. if i didn't hear them all day and sometimes in the middle of the night it wouldn't be as fun around here!

I miss my two Silver Sebright roosters, Alex and George. They were such hoots to have in the flock! George flogged several visitors, which they didn't think was very funny but *I* did. Alex occasionally kicked George's butt for running at me in preparation to flog me. George was one of my roosters i had to "refresh" his training to keep him from trying to dominate me. there is nothing like a 5 ounce, 8 inch tall rooster fighting somebody's shoe. I had to rehome several roosters due to neighbor complaints; as bantams, Alex and George were the two noisiest boys. Broke my heart.

Broke my heart TWICE because I later found out the new owner lost his entire flock to predators because he didn't have a secure coop. Alex and George -plus four non-bantam hens I gave him with the boys - were all killed.

I still have Alice, a Silver Sebright hen and she has no rooster her size now. I currently have two, mature, large fowl roosters and several cockerels..... But I am buying property where I can move my flock and keep all the roosters I want. I wish I could have kept Alex, George, Hitchcock, Albert, Nugget, Charlie, Leroy and Brewster.

I was super proud of my rooster today. Well actually I have five buttercup roosters and one of them is just absolutely perfect. The only thing I worry about it how big he is compared to my hens, but today he sold me as the one I'm going to keep as a primary. I took one hen out thinking it had been beaten up too badly, it turned out to be just feather loss from molting, anyways as soon as she cried out my rooster was on it. He started alerting the other hens and shoving them towards the coop. Oh it was just awesome. After he got them inside he waited at the door and kept calling out until I put the hen back.

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG] I wouldnt give my roosters up for anything. They protect my hens are so full of personality extremely affectionate and I just love them. I don't care about who pulls their weight or gives the most eggs, they all deserve good homes. I worry that people give up roosters to quickly and miss out on these incredibly loving animals. I know some can be aggressive and I guess I been both lucky and we also had to show the first one pictured sebastion who's boss and we haven't had a problem after that at all. They are pets like my dogs.

I agree with you that making a pet out of them does not ALWAYS lead to agression. But it seems that most of the time it does. You can read many stories on this website where somebody's rooster is attacking them and they can understand why because he was always so sweet. Usually they go on to tell what a sweet pet he WAS, now he is awful. But I do wish you the best with your roo.

Here is a picture of my roo doing a big part of his job. He called some of his ladies over and showed them where something good to eat was then watched over them as they eat.

what a good boy, yeah if my boy ever turns aggressive i wont mind at all.. i'm used to aggressive roosters to be honest i find them alot of fun cause i will spurr with aggressive ones i will put my **** kickers on and strap my riding spurs on and fight along with them then usually scoop them up and handle them.. once an agressive rooster i've noticed is in somebodies arms they actually calm down.. i guess my roosters were aggressive to my mothers co-worker when he was watching over them at his house for me when i was in the middle of building there new coop all summer they had there tiff's but he said they ended up coming to an understanding and now i guess he misses my rooster.. he's the kind of man that doesnt like them but he fell for my boys :D

Back
Top Bottom