Tell us about your silent roos!

I have 13 roos old enough to crow(many many more still growing). They crow the most when the roosters from the neighboring houses crow. Frankly, I never hear them when I am inside the house, so they don't bother me.
Anyway, out of the 13 I have never seen the bantam buff laced Polish roo crow. He may crow but I have never seen him do it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking it has to be at least partially genetic, or Longcrowers wouldn't exist- or Foghorns.

I'm thinking I have to develop the Basenji Rooster!

It's got to happen, right?

Quote:
Sounds like there are lots of quieter EE's out there... Start with them!
I wonder if quiet hens have any genetic link to quiet roos... My Cuckoo Marans has never made a sound.

I had a "special needs" roo that didn't crow very loudly. But he had lots of weird stuff going on -- loss of balance frequently, and small size. I think the quiet crows were just part of his whole physical issue. A neighbor's dog killed him last month, may he RIP. Poor thing, he was our lap rooster for 2 years. (Neighbor's dog has been dealt with after I called the dog officer, BTW).

Last edited:
Quote:
Sounds like there are lots of quieter EE's out there... Start with them!
I wonder if quiet hens have any genetic link to quiet roos... My Cuckoo Marans has never made a sound.

idk but i have very noisy EE hens and very quiet EE roos so idk maybe a sexlink think lol

I got it, I got it
wee.gif

He's not for sale but my little Serama rooster has the tiniest crow ever!
He's 55 days old, weighs 5 ounces and here is his crow

Yep, so far that's his crow lol
He sounds just like the others where I got his eggs.
He stands atop the chick feeder and belts it out and that's all he can do but he is so cute when he's trying to be so roosterly

Back
Top Bottom