Tell us about your weird phobias...

Greenfamilyfarms- Be happy you do drive across this thing!

US48_JWI0452_M-FBTacoma-Narrows-Bri.jpg

That's the new-ish one. There is another one built directly next to it now, but it doesn't have a see through median, like this one does. And the new one doesn't sway in the wind, either!

And here's a good memory!

tacoma.jpg

Galloping Gerty! My great grandparents made a living from this thing falling down! They opened a ferry landing, because with no bridge, that was the only way you could get to the Key Peninsula without driving forever.

I would never in a million years, for a million dollars, put even a finger in the water under the Narrows. The biggest species of octopus in the world lives there! Ahhhhh.... It's been off-limits to divers since 9/11 because of security. And the currents under it are so scary! It's always bubbling like there's something under there!

hit.gif

HennyPenny, that's just a few miles from my house!

Check out the video of the 1st one falling:
. My grandfather drove over this bridge (in the video) on the morning it fell. It was a looooong drive home.

Here's the new one, which opened about 2 years ago. This is from the Gig Harbor side, looking toward Tacoma.
tacoma_narrows_bridge_11_24_07_009_e.jpg

The day before it opened to traffic it was open exclusively to foot traffic. I walked over it - it's 1 mile in each direction. There were THOUSANDS of people on the bridge, and even a 5k race called "I Ran the Span".

ETA traffic cam: http://wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/default.aspx?cam=1159

Last edited:
Quote:
I grew up in Gig Harbor, and my mom still lives there. My dad lives in Tacoma on S. 38th St. (yay for drive by shootings!), and I learned how to drive on the old Narrows. The new one just lacks character, doncha think?

I have this weird phobia when I take off a turtle neck or fitted sweater/hoodie the instant I pull it up around my face to get my arms out, I get claustrophobic and panic a bit. It's weird but I do it Every time!!
hu.gif

Quote:
Small world! 38th & what? I live off S 53rd - not too far from the Safeway on 56th. No drive-bys in my hood, though...

Yeah, the new bridge should be painted. Grey concrete... bleh

Quote:
Omg, I lied! He's actually at S 36th and S L St. He's near the Safeway on 38th, which is probably what I was thinking of before.

They should paint it green!

*cough* Going back to phobias... I kinda have one about driving in large cities. I hate driving in Seattle.
hit.gif
Makes me panic. Last time I just pulled into the nearest parking garage and the people in the car thanked me!

Nasty cave crickets used to get in the house, and they liked to hide in the overflow drain in the bathroom sink. When you turned on the water they would jump out of the hole. I just got shivers all over from typing that! Now I have chickies, and no cave crickets. Yah chickies!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom