Ended Tell Us Your Funniest Chicken Story to Win Six Bags of Feed from Nutrena!

When I got my first flock of chickens, I wanted them to free-range. I envisioned them fanning out over our 40+ acres, foraging on the grassland. Instead, they free-ranged on our back porch, perching (and pooping) on our lawn furniture, and running to the backdoor to loudly demand treats. Until they discovered the cat food in the garage. They would race into the garage to devour the cat food, much to the dismay of our cats. So I shut the door to our garage.

One fine morning, I see my neighbor, (who I almost never see) storming up the road to our property to my back door. "Do you have chickens?" she asks. "Why, yes, did you notice them?" I said, proud of the beautiful plumage which surely caught my neighbor's eye.

"They are in my garage!" she declared.

To my embarrassment, my naughty hens had left our property, marched up the long road to the neighbors and were free-ranging in her garage! I ran up the road and they readily followed me home, which my neighbor thought was cute. I put up a poultry pasture fence that very day.

One of our Black Australorp hens, Fiona, has had us all convinced she was just a touch dumb. Almost daily, she climbs to the topmost roosting bar, lays an egg, which of course plummets to the ground four feet below and cracks.

Now, she has us all thinking she has got to be the most talented bird around after we discovered this yesterday morning when we went out to do our daily chores. (My apologies for the "painted" wall). The funniest part to us was that we had been working in the coop for nearly an hour before we even noticed it!

Well my daughter who lives next door, call one morning and woke me up she said mom will you please put your chicken up so my dogs will calm down. I said you know I dont have and chickens she said yes you have one in your driveway. I looked out the door nothing I said there is nothing in my drive, I heard the dogs just a barking so I went outside and there he stood under the tree buy the house a big rhode island red, soooo I started over there to him and he took off in a dead run, flapping his wings and talking smack. He scared me to death I took off running to the house and he chased my all the way. I ran in the house and he stood outside my door and made all kind of noise. I called my husband and he thought I lost my mind. I said yes there was a chicken out here and he wont let me out of the house. He stayed out there all day dusk came and he went back to a cedar tree across the road and roosted. Then the next morning here he come running down the driveway and guarded the door. I opened the door and threw out some bread and he let me out he was still flapping and talking in rooster language I guess so I started mimic every sound he made he calmed down and I sat on the porch in my chair and he walked back and forth looking and talking. Now we are best friends we made him a fenced in place and got him some girls. His name is Clucka Chuck. I dont know where he came from or how he found me but we have the best time talking to each other even if I dont know what I am saying.

Ok craziest way imaginable to lat that first egg.......
Henrietta my Buff Orpington Pullet has been acting strange today, She finally decided to come outside into the run because I was out there feeding greens to the others. Well she was so totally up my behind I was tripping over her while raking the run. Well I then went into the baby coop to clean up some and she went nuts trying to come thru the wire, behind the wire, anything to get into the pen with me, well she did manage to get herself stuck up behind the pen run and wall so I went to her rescue and she basically jumped right into my shirt as I was still bent over when I got her unstuck, so I just stood up to get her out of my shirt, and low and behold my first egg dropped right through my shirt and onto the sand, TG my run is sand and the girls so far seem to have tough shells, because it did not break.......but what a crazy way to lay that first egg ...... I laughed so hard I almost dropped her. Crazy chicken, she has always been one of my friendliest hens and I'm so glad she came to me for help.
I think that is exactly what she was up too and why she had such a fit when I left the run to clean out the baby pen. She has never tried to follow me when I left the run or even remotely seemed interested in getting into the baby pen with all those silly 10 week old roosters. That is my silliest story...... I also have a miracle story which I will post next..Kim

Snowflake the miracle chicken.......
October 26th my girl is not in at roost time, she is missing, so I get the flash light and go looking, no sing of her, not even a feather, so I figure maybe she is lost in the corn field that isn't cut yet and pray she makes it through the night and I will look for her in the am.... at daybreak......... Next morning looked everywhere......... no sign of her no feathers no gut pile, nothing at all to tell me what happened to her, so I figure a hawk or eagle took her so quickly she never even had time to squawk. Well I still kept an eye out for a week thinking she would pop up because no sign of fowl...hehe play.
Now comes Tuesday November 6th, my Gf comes over with a movie War Horse, she asks me again what my missing chicken looks like..... I show her a year old picture that's all I have, and say come out to the barn I'll show ya how they molt out with more white....... she asked because she has a chicken she doesn't recognize as hers...........because they change quite a bit after the molt.
So anyway I want to show her peepers and sissy my only remaining SS, well sissy is missing now can't find her start calling and Sue see's a chicken stuck behind the wood pile, ok we found sissy or so we thought, we started tearing down the wood pile which consist of logs 10 or 12 inches in diameter and 13 feet long and as high as my chest, support poles for the new cordwood Chicken coop we will build come spring....... well we pull out my stuck chicken to find it isn't Sissy at all its Snowflake, and she has now been missing almost 3 weeks, stuck under the pile next to the garage with no food and no water all that time. and she is by some miracle alive........ 5 lbs lighter, dehydrated, half frozen its been getting in the 20's at night and she was on concrete and crippled from being stuck with her right leg under her, she spends the next 2 days with a sling holding her up because she can't walk, but she is still alive...

.. she is still recouping in my hospital cage inside my living room, but she is fine, her leg came back and she is gaining weight steadily. How she is even alive I have no idea, but she is the toughest little hen there ever was........ and I'm very grateful to have her back. she is also very sweet as are all my Hatchery SS girls.........I have never seen a more resilient or friendly chicken,................. Kim

My funny story involves call ducks, but it starts with a chicken... so hope this qualifies...

I have this one young silkie rooster that is such a stinker, even though I raised him from an egg. He's maturing and would like nothing more than to be the leader of the land. He concocted his master plan and decided that the fastest way to the top is to take ME down.
rant.gif
Doesn't he know I feed them??!

So a couple weeks ago, I am enjoying the nice weekend outside working so I let all the birds out of their pens to free range, and this little guy comes strutting up and starts attacking my legs! Rather than walk away (didn't want him thinking he won the match!) I stood there and let him attack away, waiting for him to get bored and give up. He's no good at trying to be a big scary rooster. While I'm patiently wait for him to get done lunging into my shins, my little call duck I've raised since she fit in the palm of my hand, sees him attacking me.

This call duck, named Duck-Duck has a history of being nosey, which is how she ended up in my avatar picture. I was taking a picture of the silkie and SHE jumped in the picture find out what the excitement was all about. BUT, she isn't overly tame. She watches what I do, but she does not wish to be petted or picked up.

For this reason, I was shocked when Duck-Duck came full speed waddle/running over to my rescue! I've never seen that little duck waddle so fast - you'd have thought her tail was on fire! She gets between that chicken and I, and puts her head down with her beak out and open like the most ferocious goose, and starts threatening to pluck out every feather on his body. Not more than 30 seconds later, Duck-Duck's best friend, another call duck, joins in on this. The silkie dodges their charging for a minute or so, and then he decides he's had enough of this crazy duck thing and slinks away.

Then the ducks just start eating grass at my feet like nothing ever happened!

That young silkie try anything again since. I guess my little bodyguards have put him in his place!
yippiechickie.gif
i love your story!!!

We have an easter egger that actually dances! It is the reason we got her. Someone had bought all the chicks but one. Left all alone she was dancing to get attention from chicks in a cage near her and she hasn't stopped yet. Brittany spreads her wings out at her sides and hops from one leg to another ending with kicking one leg out to the side several times.. She lives with her buddy a silkie named Sonnie. When they were younger and still living in the brooder in the house we would put them outside in a fenced area during the day for sun and fun. Somehow they always managed to get out when it was time to come in to go to bed. This is the time that Brittany would dance her hardest. She would race up the steps, pace in front of the glass door and jump up scratch it to let us know she was ready. Sonnie was always waiting at the base of the porch and it drove Brittany crazy so she would stand on the top step and dance. When this failed to get Sonnie up the steps she would go down to the bottom one and dance till Sonnie came up. And so it went- one step at a time...Brittany dancing and Sonnie lagging behind till they were both finally on the porch ready for bed.
Brittany still dances constantly for Sonnie, they are inseparable.

When we first discovered we had a rooster in our flock I was extremely disappointed because I knew I would have to rehome him due to our neighborhood. Well, before finding him a new home we tried to keep him as quiet as possible. This eventually turned into him being trained to go into the garage at night and put himself in his crate. He slept in the crate with a blanket thrown over to keep him from crowing early in the morning. Well my dog also sleeps in the garage. Every morning I would go out, let the dog out and then let the rooster out. He would immediately head for the door so he could go see his ladies. One morning I did my usual routine of the letting them both out. My dog, Koopa, was super excited that morning and was zooming around the garage. I ordered her out the door and she stood wiggling in the doorway. "BiggUn", the rooster, was in his usual hurry to get out the door to see his ladies. He kept trying to scoot past Koopa, who was wiggling and squirming as only an Aussie can. Every time he would move to get around her, she would move into his way. After a few tries trying to squeeze past her, he got incredibly fed up. He jumped up, boxed her on the ears with his wings and then marched past while she stood staring at me like, "What was that?!"

This summer, I went on my routine visit to the backyard to visit my girls. They can hear me opening the gate, so naturally they come running to me in hopes of treats. Well, this time, it was different. My cherry egger was missing! I looked all over the yard for her, calling and whistling. When she didn't show, I finally began checking the front yard. Still nowhere in sight. Then, all of the sudden, I hear a clucking coming from across the street! Sure enough, it was the cherry egger, exploring the neighbors yard. When she saw me, she began crossing the street. To this day, she still crosses the road, and I still don't know why the chicken crossed the road.

We had moved in January, and my eight girls got to move up from their 4x8 coop, to a medium sized barn with three horse stalls. They settled right in and roosted each night on the top of the stall boards. A couple of weeks after the move, I went out to lock them up after dark, as usual. When I went to count to make sure everyone was in bed, two if my gals were missing. I looked around, took my flashlight and shined out in the yard, but no ladies. However, I could hear them. I turned to look some more, for some reason looked up, and there they were! Roosting in the rafters about 12 feet up! Now they all do except Big Red. I guess she's afraid of heights!!

Back
Top Bottom