Telling ducks/ducklings apart

sannabelle

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 22, 2016
Rural Missouri
Hello all! Later this week I am picking up four Cayuga ducklings, two for each of my step sons. They will be "raising" them and yes, I will be closely supervising ;)

I am able to tell all of my ducks and chickens apart, but the boys are 8 and 10 and I see many a fight over whose duck is whose in my near future. :he :lau If you have ever had boys....you know this to be true.

Is banding their legs with those color bands the best solution? Is it safe? I've never used them before so I'm looking to see what the cons are, if any.

Thank you!!

Get the pack of colored zip-ties (small size) and put them on there feet, Just make loose enought to where you can get them off as they get older and need chnaged.

It is a plenty safe method and just make sure you have nothing that will get hooked on them.

I have also seen wing tags, You can get them at your local livestock store.

Congrats!

Get the pack of colored zip-ties (small size) and put them on there feet, Just make loose enought to where you can get them off as they get older and need chnaged.

It is a plenty safe method and just make sure you have nothing that will get hooked on them.

Congrats!

Thanks! There's nothing they could get caught in. I've got 6 of my own ducks but the boys are always upset because when they get here for the summer any of our spring babies have grown up already haha.

The zip ties won't bother them ?

Thanks! There's nothing they could get caught in. I've got 6 of my own ducks but the boys are always upset because when they get here for the summer any of our spring babies have grown up already haha.

The zip ties won't bother them ?
Not if you change them every few weeks for when there growing but it shouldn't

Congrats!

X 2 - there is no reason not to use bands as long as you are vigilant about checking them as the birds grow and changing the bands as needed to fit the growing leg. Also, once the birds are differentiated by banding it becomes easier to start seeing the characteristics that allow you to tell one from another and in short order you/they will be telling them apart without even looking at the band.

Back
Top Bottom