Telling my breeds apart?

melodyrg

Songster
9 Years
Oct 31, 2012
I ordered 20 chicks from Meyer hatchery to arrive between Feb 26th and Feb 28th, a friend and I are splitting them up. We ordered 2 chicks of 10 different breeds and we're going to have to separate the chicks so that we each have one of each breed. So my question is, are there any tell tale signs to identifying any of these breeds? Thanks in advance!

ITEM # DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE EXTENSION REMOVE
ANCF Ancona Female
$2.88 $5.76

WTLF
White Leghorn Female
$2.71 $5.42

BARF
Barred Rock Female
$2.71 $5.42

BLAF
Black Australorp Female
$2.71 $5.42

BUOF
Buff Orpington Female
$2.71 $5.42

SLWF
Silver Laced Wyandotte Female
$2.88 $5.76

AMAF
Easter Egger Female
$2.88 $5.76

CKMF
Cuckoo Marans Female
$3.83 $7.66

BFBF
Buff Brahma Standard Female
$3.83 $7.66

RIRF
Rhode Island Red Female
$2.71 $5.42

the ancona should have a beard, the leghorn chicks should be yellow, the barred rocks black with a little white on them, the austrolorp should be completely black the wyandottes are mottled in the face, and should have a light colored down, th buff orpington is a gold color (darker than the leghorn) the easter egger will look a lot like the ancona, the cuckoo I'm not sure what it will look like, the rhode island red is well, red lol and the cochin will be the only one with feathered feet!

the ancona should have a beard, the leghorn chicks should be yellow, the barred rocks black with a little white on them, the austrolorp should be completely black the wyandottes are mottled in the face, and should have a light colored down, th buff orpington is a gold color (darker than the leghorn) the easter egger will look a lot like the ancona, the cuckoo I'm not sure what it will look like, the rhode island red is well, red lol and the cochin will be the only one with feathered feet!

Um, Anconas do not have beards (they might however, peck them out of other chickens). Perhaps you were thinking of Araucana or Ameraucana.

Black Australorp chicks are NOT all black

The Easter Egger will likely look NOTHING like the Ancona. In fact, one can't post a picture of a young Easter Egger and say YOURS will look like THIS. They are not a recognized breed, and can be a mix of any number of breeds, any color, will PROBABLY have beards and muffs but might not, PROBABLY have green or slate legs, SHOULD lay blue OR green, but might not.

I don't have any of the other breeds so I can't comment on them.

I'm sure the OP has figured out her chicks by now
wink.png
but:

Top left to right, 2 or 3 days old:
Partridge Chantecler - Chipmunk pattern
Ancona - YELLOW body with black back and black spot(s) on head
Faverolles, you can just see the muff on this one. The EASY way to tell is they have 5 toes instead of 4 and have feathers on their legs.
Partridge Chantecler

2nd row:
Black Australorp - black top, light underneath
Faverolles
Black Australorp
Ancona

3rd row
Easter Egger
Cubalaya

4th row
Easter Egger
Cubalaya

3 week old Ancona (the other girls is a Cubalaya)

3 week old Black Australorps, as you can see, they are not yet all black

six (?) week old Black Australorp - NOW she is black

six (?) week old Ancona

4 months old, Ancona on the left, Black Australorp center.
other girls
Faverolles between the first two, Partridge Chantecler bottom right.
The others are a bit hard to describe in the picture but the brownish one
with the black head behind the BA and the orange one are Easter Eggers.
The other one behind the BA and the one behind her head are Cubalays,
one is a Blue Red (her head is blending into the back of the other Faverolles),
the other a red splash (or pyle, not sure).
big_smile.png
You can figure out the other Ancona and Partridge Chantecler

Bruce

Thanks! Yeah I have definitely figured out y breeds now, we were really lucky in tht we didn't eat any doubles, although my leghorn was dead upon arrival :p but Ill be posting more pics soon!

Back
Top Bottom