Telling someone they have a rooster...

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So an acquaintance of mine has chickens that are about 8-9 weeks old. I saw their chickens today, and she was commenting on how beautiful one of them was...”isn’t she beautiful? What a beautiful bird she is.” The birds comb was huge & bright red. It was accompanied by a nice large red wattle. I didn’t say anything, as in her eyes I am a newbie (she doesn’t know I’ve been chicken sitting for years, and even without that experience BYC has taught me sooo much about sexing chickens. I don’t have a picture (thought it would look weird if I asked to take a pic), but is there any way a hen could have a comb and wattles before 10 weeks? Should I have said something about maybe her being a cockerel? Maybe I’ll bring it up next time if you guys think I should. (Or not if you don’t). Thanks! She had another hen the same breed with no red. No comb. No wattle. I believe they were Domoniques.

Last edited:
So an acquaintance of mine has chickens that are about 8-9 weeks old. I saw their chickens today, and she was commenting on how beautiful one of them was...”isn’t she beautiful? What a beautiful bird she is.” The birds comb was huge & bright red. It was accompanied by a nice large red wattle. I didn’t say anything, as in her eyes I am a newbie (she doesn’t know I’ve been chicken sitting for years, and even without that experience BYC has taught me aooo much about sexing chickens. I don’t have a picture (thought it would look weird if I asked to take a pic), but is there any way a hen could have a comb and wattles before 10 weeks? Should I have said something about maybe her being a cockerel? Maybe I’ll bring it up next time if you guys think I should. (Or not if you don’t). Thanks! She had another hen the same breed with no red. No comb. No wattle. I believe they were Domoniques.
10 week old females, no matter what breed, have either no wattle, or a small wattle. A small comb, or no comb growth. If the bird has a large set of wattles and comb at 10 weeks, its a male.

10 week old females, no matter what breed, have either no wattle, or a small wattle. A small comb, or no comb growth. If the bird has a large set of wattles and comb at 10 weeks, its a male.
Thank you. It wasn’t even small. But I definitely didn’t want to be wrong if I decide to say something!

Leghorns develop faster, but a large wattle is still unlikely for a 10 week old. Do you know the chicken's breed?
It was black & white. I think a Domonique (don’t think it was a barred rock & no feathered feet so not a cuckoo Marans)

A picture would be easier. What colour were the legs?? I know you can get cuckoo leghorns so that could explain the early developing of the wattles and comb

If she still thinks it is a hen, the next time you see her you could ask her how far they are away from laying. And that that one (the one with the red comb) must be the one that will lay first. You could then laughingly say that when you saw her the last time you actually thought it was a cockerel.
Hopefully with the laughing, it will be funny and if you are right, well done!!

Back
Top Bottom