Temp advice -MHP

Justso

Crowing
8 Years
Apr 30, 2015
Chicagoland DuPage Co
My Coop
My Coop
Here in the Chicago area we're going to have a massive temperature swing. I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on how I should deal with MHP temperature in my brooder. Currently the chicks are in the garage which tends to be cooler, but we are still going to be in the high 80s. That's after being in the low fifties up to yesterday.
Is there a rule of thumb for how warm it is outside to turn the temperature up or down or off? Unlike a heat lamp, I can't really get a good temperature underneath the pad. My chicks hatched out on the 28th.
20220509_171600.jpg

Rule of thumb is 90 F the first week and lower by 5 F each week thereafter. Though they can handle a little cooler than that. The best is a warm spot and lots of cool space.

Rule of thumb is 90 F the first week and lower by 5 F each week thereafter. Though they can handle a little cooler than that. The best is a warm spot and lots of cool space.
This just really applies to heat lamps.....and isn't the best technique, IMO.

With an MHP, you've got to use your judgement.
Adjusting the temp and/or raising/lowering the pad/plate.
Definitely keep pad/plate on an angle so they can pick the best spot.

This just really applies to heat lamps.....and isn't the best technique, IMO.

With an MHP, you've got to use your judgement.
Adjusting the temp and/or raising/lowering the pad/plate.
Definitely keep pad/plate on an angle so they can pick the best spot.
That's why I don't like the MHP.

my chicks are being brooded in the coop (so outside temps) with a MHP and have been for just over 2 weeks since they were about a week old. I haven't adjusted my MHP besides to lower it like normal (down a bit every so often, mine has 9 heat settings). We have had temps in the 70's and nights in high 30's. They have been great. I saw them go under during the day a bit more the first week if it was colder out. But the past 2 days have been around 50-54 and they have barely been under it at all. They do still go under at night but during the day they are running around or sitting on top of it no matter what the temp is. Mine is down to 4 (as I said it has 9 heat settings) and I will be lowering it again tomorrow morning to work on weaning them off of it since they will probably be 4 weeks old tomorrow or Wed (I got them 3 weeks ago this upcoming Friday so guessing they were about 2-3 days old when I got them.)

once I adjust it down I don't adjust it up. They will just use it more if needed and less if they don't need it.

That's why I don't like the MHP.
not sure why you don't like it? do you adjust the heat lamp depending on the temperature it is or just lower it when the chicks seem like they need it lowered? or do you follow a strict schedule?

I adjust the MHP when they are barely using it then I lower the temp on it, and when they get too tall to fit under easy then I raise it so they can go under it easier. It isn't like a mama hen lowers her body temp 5* each week for the chicks.... They just run under her when they want to get warm and come out when they are good...... Just like they do with a MHP.

I don't think there's a need to adjust the MHP setting, if the chicks are warm enough they'll just not use it, or sit on top of it/near it but not under it. Given their current age my guess is they just won't use it while it's so warm out.

If that makes you nervous, then set it to a lower setting for this hotter cycle, and then back up to where it was when it cools down. But they still might not use it. :)

Back
Top Bottom