Temp for two week old ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Funsizeracing, May 26, 2011.

1. Funsizeracing

Funsizeracing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    So I got my ducky babies, YEA! But I'm unsure how warm to keep them. Does anyone have a recomended temp for two week old babies? They don't seem uncomfortable at all at room temp. I just wanted to be safe and make sure they are well spoiled!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    First off...congrats on geting the babies. The temperature needed can vary a little- time of year- how many you have and what size brooder you are using. A very general idea would be 75 -80 degrees at that age- but they will also display behaviour to tell you if they are too hot or cold. Cold babies will huddle together and peep a lot- whereas if they are too hot- they wil be in the corners trying to get away from the heat lamp and most likely panting.

3. Funsizeracing

Funsizeracing Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    So basically just like my chicks. Good to know. Guess I'm just being that "overprotective mother" with my newest babies [​IMG]

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I agree with the above post. However, I'd provide them a warmer end of the brooder for times when they're a little wetter or cooler. They'll choose which end of the brooder they're most comfortable in. Ducklings really don't need a lot of heat at two weeks though, so you're probably fine. Enjoy, and post pics when you can. We're junkies for duckling pics.

5. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Mine are off heat when they are 2 weeks old, but they are living indoors with 65-70 degree temps. Just watch their behavior. They huddle, they need some heat. A 40 watt bulb is most likely more then enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by