Temp got up to 103.... is it over?

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
I used the thermometer that came w/ the incubator and had it set right under 100 degrees. Yesterday I bought a digital therm that also reads the humidity level. When I put it in the bator, it went up to 103. I turned the bator down so the digital one is now reading 99. But, the other one is around 90. I put the regular therm outside this morning and it read 32 degrees. Online it said it was 29 degrees and our outdoor therm read 30. So, I know it is off by a few degrees. Anyway, so basically, the first 24 hours that the eggs were in the bator, it was around 102. Is it over for them or is there hope?

Last edited:
The thing about thermometers is that being off a few degrees at one temp does not necessarily mean only a few degrees at another temp. I believe they are exponential and the farther the temp is from freezing, the more the therm. will be off.

Also, those thermometers that come with the incubators are notoriously inaccurate. It may not hurt to pick up another thermometer (maybe a non-digital, I think the dial therms are supposed to be the most accurate?) to triple check the temp. Digital therms are not always accurate either. I would love to get a nice scientific therm myself ... someday
smile.png

They should be fine. I've had spikes of up to 108 and they were o.k. I find that between the styrofoam bator and the thermometer, it's hard to get a steady temp.

It's recommended to keep the still air bator at 101 anyway so 102 or 103 isn't that far off for a short term spike.

you should be ok, I had a spike that went up to 106 I was sure all were dead ran around for the whole day sying itd done they arent gonna hatch, but they did, they are strong determined little buggers! Good luck!

I just hatched with an 80% success rate and my temps were all over- 98-104! The thermometor my hovabator always said about 4 whole degrees higher than my digital- go figure. So really, I have no idea what my real temps were
big_smile.png
You will be just fine!

are you using the one that came with the bator, if so i would throw that one out. i didn't have a hatch out of my first two batches.... it was the one that came with it... now i have babies everywhere....

Back
Top Bottom