Temp & Humidity for eggs on lockdown same for newly hatched chick?

petunias212

Songster
9 Years
Jan 12, 2011
My first chick zipped and I still have 6 more to go....my humidity fluctuates up to 76% and i typically remove the vent plug (lg still air) and it goes down to 72% - my temp has been holding between 99 and 100 degrees...is that okay for the newly hatched chick? how long will it take it to fluff out and once it fluffs out can i take it out and put it in the brooder?

this is my first time hatch...the newly hatched chick has this stringy egg white thing it's trailing around...is that normal?

thanks for your help...

That temp will be fine for newly hatched chicks. If you have to, you can leave them in the bator for up to three days - the remains of the yolk sac that they absorb immediately before they hatch provides all the nourishment they'll need for the first couple of days. You'll probably want to try and avoid opening the bator to take any of them out until after everybody has hatched.

Chicks dry off quite gradually and can take more than 24 hours till they're properly dry and all fluffed up. I like to leave mine in the bator till they're completely dry, but that's cause mine is fan assisted and it's like a blow-dryer for the chicks. If you've got a still air bator, it might not make much difference if you left them there or put them in the brooder while they were still damp.

And yes, the stringy egg white thing is quite normal. It's the remnant of the chick's umbilical cord. It will dry up on its own and most likely drop off after a day or so...

P.S. Congratulations on your first hatch!!!

you're awesome...i don' know what else to say...thank you.
smile.png

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom