Temp Problems.....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tristancolli, Dec 23, 2011.

1. tristancolli

tristancolli Songster

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    ok so i turned my bator on tonight for the first time in over a year. im a recovering bator addict and im just wondering i've never had this problem but i have 2 different thermometers one is a digital and one is a aquarium. the the digital was only reading 79.5 but the aquarium one was reading 90.... i dunno whats going on

2. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Songster

Sep 22, 2009
    Get another thermometer. -shrug- One sounds like its probably off. if they havent been used in a year they could have somehow gotten messed up.

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Songster

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I would trust the aquarium before the digital. I too would get another thermometer.

4. free_loader

free_loader In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    DeLeon Springs
    agree the digital is probably bad. but it could also be a number of other things... depending on if the bator is forced air or still, how close the thermometers are to the heating element, etc...

5. tristancolli

tristancolli Songster

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    i added a second aquarium thermometer and it reads the same as the first and after a while of being in the bator so did the digital so i dunno if i just have a cheapdigital and it takes like periodic temps or what but all is good now.

6. 3forfree

3forfree Songster

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I have 2 in my bator that I'm testing right now, one is digital, the other is a bulb thermo. they read acouple of degrees different. the digital responds faster than the bulb, both are within the limits for incubation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by