1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

TEMP SPIKE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by magikchick, Dec 17, 2008.

1. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Got home from work and went to check the bator, temp was 104! I got it down to 99 and holding now. Sure hope the eggs are alright. I have no idea how long they have been at that temp.[​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Sometimes the temp spikes about half-way through incubation b/c the chickies are producing their own heat. Mine has gotten close to that (103.7) before and everyone was ok. Crossing my fingers for you...[​IMG]

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I wouldn't panic too much. I have had spikes of 106 before and still had a decent hatch [​IMG] [​IMG] Good Luck! I'm pulling for you.

4. magikchick

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I just set these eggs yesterday bantam cochins, frizzles and silkies. Been thinking I might get a gensis 1588 and this is making me lean more towards that idea.

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    What bator do you have now ? I have a LG with fan and have had very little flucuation for 12 days. I have been surprised at how well it is staying .

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I wouldn't be too concerned. My homemade bator temps swing between 95 and 104 degrees according to the thermometer. But the temp inside my "fake egg"...a small baggie filled 1/2 way with water...stays between 99 and 101. Chicks hatch just fine.

I once had a temp spike to 107 for several hours and everyone came out just fine. I was a wreck for many days before they hatched...but they were fine.

7. magikchick

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    Quote:I have a home made bator. I've hatched in it before with good results.

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I think they will be fine !! 104 isent that bad, could of been worse !!

Hope you have a great hatch [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Agree they should be fine my first ever hatching mine spiked to 104 for few hours and they were all fine. Good Luck!![​IMG]

10. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Hey KellyHM, how much are your RIR eggs? Just wondering.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by