TEMP VS WINDCHILL

Apr 16, 2020
Hello All.

Worried about my ducks feet!

Woke up to see we had a sudden snow storm come in and temperatures dropped to 28 degrees and with windchill my weather app says it "feels like 17". Theres a few inches of snow outside. The ducks are in a mobile tractor. I read that ducks are ok to about 20 degrees. Wondering if I should be worried about their feet right now? They are moving into a greenhouse this weekend, and the weather is going back to 45 degrees today and there isn't a frost forecasted for the next week.

Thanks!

my ducks didn’t even want to be outside yesterday when it was 40° lol, as soon as it started snowing i brought them all in and gave them some “oatmeal”

mine sleep indoors though so they aren’t used to cold weather

This is one of their feet

Attachments

• 5034EBD5-AFAF-491C-8FBD-D24382CF885A.jpeg
    5034EBD5-AFAF-491C-8FBD-D24382CF885A.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 11
Yes I understand that they are cold. The reason for my posting is to get a better idea if I need to take drastic measures right now or just wait it out because like I said the temperatures going to raise back up to 40 today and sustain well above frost for at least the next week.

The cold is not the problem, it's the snow on their feet, which causes them to tuck their feet up close to their body. I have had ducks out in -40 degrees with no problems. 40F is nothing to them.

Ducks do not need to be inside, just provide them with a well-ventilated area, thawed water, protection from the elements, and on a soft substrate like straw.

Back
Top Bottom