1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Temperament prediction?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chicks Galore3, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    My bantam sebright hatched out one little chick 6 weeks ago. Judging from his comb, it's definitely a roo. Which, if he behaves himself, I don't have a problem with. But the question is, will he behave himself? He is lavender orpington dad/barred rock mom cross. I've heard that BR can make some nasty roosters aggression-wise. His mom is skittish but not mean, hatchery strain. His dad has fathered 2 other roos who turned out "nice" to humans. (Not friendly per se, but no aggression at all.) Does any of that have any bearing on little guy's temperament? I have not handled him at all, but I obviously give him food and water everyday and he knows I'm the food lady.

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Ive looked and both breeds seem to be very docile and i would look up how to tame a rooster before he gets to old to deal with i have a Dominique and a Australorp and they will jump on my lap whenever they want [​IMG] Very tame good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by