Temperature and humidity questions HELP?! Malfunctioning ?

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have a brand new hovabator Genesis 1588. I have been trying to find a good place to put it as our house has no good places and our heat pump is not really working and the house stays pretty cold and temps fluctuate. SO I have put the incubator in the workshop and have set the temp of the room to about 78. I also have draped a blanket over the play pen that I have it in (kid proofing) to try and insulate it from any drafts. HOwever the temp (I have the flukers dial thermometer and hygrometer) is only reading about 90 Degrees! How much should I worry about this? Should I go and buy another thermometer? Or should I just chill and trust the incubator manufacturers who say not to worry about the temps as the incubator is reliable to keep it at a safe temp. The relative humidity is sitting at about 60 %. Is this OK? Sure could use some feed back folks, thank you!

Last edited:
Try a new battery and or a new thermometer....I don't know much about the flukers...

Your humidity needs to be 40 to 50% range first 18 days...60 to 70% last 3....

How long has it been plugged in for and what trough do you have filled? I would run it for about 6 hours and see where it stabilizes. You don't really need to baby it too much. I had mine in a downstairs room that fluctuated between 66 and 68 degrees and that was plenty warm for it.

Yeah .... what Lisa said.

Hovabator recommends a room temp of around 70F for optimum results. Others have success with temps both higher and lower. The heater in the machine is only 25W, so it doesn't like too low an ambient temp.

OK, I went out and bought another thermometer, a digital one with a probe this time. It read the same as the dial one, just over 90 degrees. SO this evening I adjusted the switch up by one, I have the temp in the room between about 75 and 80 degrees! The humidity has come down to about 60 degrees. ( it was even higher for a while) How do I lower the humidity? I have the 'C' trough filled presently.... Oh and I have had it running for over 24 hours already.

Last edited:
If your ambient humidity is high, the water in the trough may be too much.

Run it dry for a few hours and see what happens.

You can make yourself a tray with a smaller surface area than the built in trough if necessary. But you probably won't have to.

My ambient humidity is 64 right now! Guess here in South Carolina it probably won't be too much of an issue... Thanks, I will try emptying the water out for now. I do have some tubing so that I can put some water in without opening if I need to .

I ran the incubator over night at the setting I had changed it to. Again the room temp maintained at about 78 F. The temp in the bator was at 90 F this morning and it doesn't seem to be trying to raise the temp either. The light was not cycling on much at all - as if it was happy with the temp and was just maintaining it. SO this morning I flipped the teensy toggle switches all off and put it onto the hottest setting. Right now it is sitting at 98.6 F and the ambient temp around the incubator is almost at 80 degrees!!!! I think I have a faulty incubator unless someone can set me straight here. I have checked that the bator lid is on right. The vent cap is in. I have the temp probe suspended halfway between the top and bottom but it is a forced air so I figured that shouldn't make much difference. Can anyone shed any light on my problem here! I can hardly believe this is happening! I have 50 eggs waiting to go in and now GQF is shut down for the weekend and I don't know what to do! Help!!!!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom