temperature fluctuates in my incubator by 3 or 4 degrees?

unclejohn

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
ok so i have built an incubator and gotton some eggs fairly cheap. Now the temperature is usually around 100f but sometimes it gets a little hotter say 104-106. when this happens i of course control it and bring it back down, but how will this affect my eggs?

how do mother hens hatch their babies then if the temperature and humidity has to be so precise?
i dont get it. im sure the eggs are not always 101f inside the chicken coop!

how do mother hens hatch their babies then if the temperature and humidity has to be so precise?
i dont get it. im sure the eggs are not always 101f inside the chicken coop!
A broody hen's body temperature will remain exactly the same ALL the time, just like yours and mine. That's how warm blooded animals survive. The only time the temperature will vary is when then hen gets off the eggs once a day to feed. The temperature will only drop by a degrees or two because she'll only be off for half an hour and the eggs are insulated.

but she gets off to feed everyday right? and what about humidity? is it really that important , how is humidity controlled with a broody mother?

but she gets off to feed everyday right? and what about humidity? is it really that important , how is humidity controlled with a broody mother?

Humidity is directly related to temperature so the hen's body heat and natural moisture excretions will regulate humidity. The idea of a shell, as well as protection, is that it can contain heat and moisture for the short periods that a hen won't be sat on them. If you've ever taken an egg off a broody hen you'll feel it's warm, and will stay warm for a long time afterwards. Minor and infrequent fluctuations won't cause a huge amount of damage but constant up and downs will cause problems in development

Humidity is directly related to temperature so the hen's body heat and natural moisture excretions will regulate humidity. The idea of a shell, as well as protection, is that it can contain heat and moisture for the short periods that a hen won't be sat on them. If you've ever taken an egg off a broody hen you'll feel it's warm, and will stay warm for a long time afterwards. Minor and infrequent fluctuations won't cause a huge amount of damage but constant up and downs will cause problems in development
okay thanks. knowledge is power. I guess I will do what i can to keep it at a constant 101F

What are you heating it with? I suggest you invest in a thermostat, that way it will look after your temperature without you having to worry.

What are you heating it with? I suggest you invest in a thermostat, that way it will look after your temperature without you having to worry.
I'm just heating with a 40 watt light bulb. I'm new to all of thise. I candled some eggs the other day and 7/10 are developing so far. but it was only like 5 or 6 days in

Back
Top Bottom