Temperature fluctuation in homemade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Irajoe, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Edited....Found answer in previous post...thanks!

Question to folks who have built a styrofoam incubator with a hot water thermostat and 25w bulb...

I'm building one to use as a hatcher and am currently using a digital thermometer that's measuring air temperature...I'll purchase a digital with probe for use with a water wiggler tomorrow.

My concern is that that the air temps are fluctuating 5-6 degrees with the hot water thermostat...is that normal?

Hopefully, the probe will reveal a much more stable temperature in the water wiggler.

Thanks for insights from your experiences.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  2. mr.majestik

mr.majestik Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2008
    GA
    Mine was the same way. it would fluctuate between 93-101 sometimes. Humidity was pretty good though. Try using a heat sink like a quart jar filled with warm water and that will help a little. Mine hatched fine so don't worry about getting it perfect. The water wiggler will help gauge the temp a lot better. Good luck.

3. clayhillcouple

clayhillcouple Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    I keep seeing water wigglers. What are they???

4. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I also have this problem, I added a pepper seedling (yes a plant) and it helped to stablized the temp. Nothing else worked for me and I got the idea when I was trying to get it set before I put my eggs in. I thought... Humm I bet my peppers would like the warmer soil temps. When I took them out it was harder to regulate again. They also keep the humidity at a good %. I also cover the eggs lightly with a paper towel, just on the top the bottoms are sitting on the wire. It doesn't seem to effect the air cells. It keeps the temp swing to within a 3-4 degree difference ... between 98-102 usually. I have them uncoved now for the last 3 days and I have a bigger swing again.

5. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    Very helpful - thanks so much!

6. AshleyMarie17

AshleyMarie17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Southern Alabama

Did you have a good hatch rate with these temperature fluctuations? Mine keeps going from 98-102 with my quail eggs. Usually 99-102. I'm super nervous. I keep finding online where being a degree or two off can cause no hatches or even deformities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by