Temperature fluctuation in homemade incubator

Irajoe

Songster
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
South Carolina
Edited....Found answer in previous post...thanks!

Question to folks who have built a styrofoam incubator with a hot water thermostat and 25w bulb...

I'm building one to use as a hatcher and am currently using a digital thermometer that's measuring air temperature...I'll purchase a digital with probe for use with a water wiggler tomorrow.

My concern is that that the air temps are fluctuating 5-6 degrees with the hot water thermostat...is that normal?

Hopefully, the probe will reveal a much more stable temperature in the water wiggler.

Thanks for insights from your experiences.

Last edited:
Mine was the same way. it would fluctuate between 93-101 sometimes. Humidity was pretty good though. Try using a heat sink like a quart jar filled with warm water and that will help a little. Mine hatched fine so don't worry about getting it perfect. The water wiggler will help gauge the temp a lot better. Good luck.

I also have this problem, I added a pepper seedling (yes a plant) and it helped to stablized the temp. Nothing else worked for me and I got the idea when I was trying to get it set before I put my eggs in. I thought... Humm I bet my peppers would like the warmer soil temps. When I took them out it was harder to regulate again. They also keep the humidity at a good %. I also cover the eggs lightly with a paper towel, just on the top the bottoms are sitting on the wire. It doesn't seem to effect the air cells. It keeps the temp swing to within a 3-4 degree difference ... between 98-102 usually. I have them uncoved now for the last 3 days and I have a bigger swing again.

I also have this problem, I added a pepper seedling (yes a plant) and it helped to stablized the temp.  Nothing else worked for me and I got the idea when I was trying to get it set before I put my eggs in.  I thought... Humm I bet my peppers would like the warmer soil temps.  When I took them out it was harder to regulate again.  They also keep the humidity at a good %.  I also cover the eggs lightly with a paper towel, just on the top the bottoms are sitting on the wire.  It doesn't seem to effect the air cells.  It keeps the temp swing to within a 3-4 degree difference ... between 98-102 usually.  I have them uncoved now for the last 3 days and I have a bigger swing again.

Did you have a good hatch rate with these temperature fluctuations? Mine keeps going from 98-102 with my quail eggs. Usually 99-102. I'm super nervous. I keep finding online where being a degree or two off can cause no hatches or even deformities.

Back
Top Bottom