Temperature for brooder

Rangeview Droughtmasters

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2020
Wanting to check that the temperature is right in my brooder for my guinea fowl keets. I’ve got a digital probe thermometer. Do I put it directly under the light to measure or in the area around it?

Wanting to check that the temperature is right in my brooder for my guinea fowl keets. I’ve got a digital probe thermometer. Do I put it directly under the light to measure or in the area around it?
You measure brooder temperature under the heat source at the approximate height of the back of the bird being brooded. The other end of the brooder should be significantly cooler and this is where food and water are kept. Where are you brooding them?

You measure brooder temperature under the heat source at the approximate height of the back of the bird being brooded. The other end of the brooder should be significantly cooler and this is where food and water are kept. Where are you brooding them?
Thanks for that. They’re in a brooder box with a light & a heat lamp. I just seem to be struggling to get the temperature stable.

Can you take a picture of this box.
You have a light and a heat lamp?
If so...that is too much.

Attachments

• 186F36CB-F751-4392-AA6A-B135C69BFD27.jpeg
    186F36CB-F751-4392-AA6A-B135C69BFD27.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 10
The best way to check the broader temp is by watching the chicks. If they are bunched up in a cluster, the temp is probably to low. If they are dispersed or loosely clustered, the temp is probably about right. If they look distressed, the temp is likely to high.
I have switched to ecoglow type broader and heat mats vs heat lamps. The chicks love them and you never have to worry about temps.

Back
Top Bottom