Temperature for chicks

carmen chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
hi everyone, i have 8 eggs in my brinsea mini incubator and i am wondering that temperature do you need the brooder to be when they hatch!!

I have a brinsea mini advance.

The first week of life, 90-95 degrees is recommended, and decrease by 5 degrees per week until 70 degrees- keep at it until fully feathered.

Now with the brinsea mini advance, I have found that I leave them for hours and they are still wet. It is so small that they don't dry off.

I love my incubator, but I take them out after about two hours and put them in a brooder. I watch them carefully and check my temperatures with a thermometer. I start with 95 since they just hatched. They dry off quickly and are healthy.

I leave the incubator temperature at 99.5 for the rest of the eggs to hatch- I don't open it at all if someone is pipping or zipping. The wet chick just waits until there are no holes in any eggs before I open the door.

This is just the way I do it. I know it is recommended to leave them in for 24 hours.

Brinsea has a free downloadable handbook for hatching on their website that is great if you haven't seen it!

I usually watch the birds - As many books say, if they are huddled under the light they are too cold, if they are as far away as possibly they are too hot. I've found it simplest to give them plenty of room - they run under the light when cold, and the rest of the time explore.

Good luck!

I usually watch the birds - As many books say, if they are huddled under the light they are too cold, if they are as far away as possibly they are too hot. I've found it simplest to give them plenty of room - they run under the light when cold, and the rest of the time explore.

Well thought out, concise and perfect answer!

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom