Temperature for moving chicks outside

I'm near Vancouver BC so it's pretty mild. With that last bunch it was January so regularly frosty and freezing overnight but warmer in the day. I don't do Fahrenheit sorry!
If they have access to the lamps they'll use them when they need to - just make sure there's not a lot of obstacles between them and getting to warmth, or a long distance to go. They're not overly bright animals ;)

Thanks! Lamps I have!

I live in Wisconsin, and our weather can be very erratic in spring. I was thinking of moving ours out late April, Early May when they are 8 weeks old, but I was wondering if it would be possible to move them to a coop earlier? My husband is still building the coop which will be inside part of our barn that was once a granary. I assumed once they are feathered out and weaned off the heat lamp each week they should be fine? I have raised chickens before but I am originally from the south where it is much warmer in spring.
th.gif

I just moved my 4 week olds out to their new house. I have 2 lamps and lotsa straw and shavings in it. It's 45 degrees outside but the shed is 75 right now. They love it!

I too am from Washington~and I say where is Spring?????
barnie.gif

I think it's too cold up here to leave my chicks out they are a week old, and I have a very closed up chicken coop. They are in my bathroom, and I love them in the house! Oh no!
he.gif
We are in CO, and I think Spring is trying to arrive. My almost 9 week old chicks are still living in a dog kennel in our garage. It dips into the 30s at night here and they seem fine. They just all snuggle up together.

Trust me. When they get older, you'll want them out of the house. I'm still cleaning dust up from the room they were in.

I have 5 week old chicks, they look like they have most of their feathers. They still have down on their neck and just a bit down the center of their breast so I'd say they are 90% covered in feathers. I live on the Oregon Coast about 7 miles inland. the temps have been ranging from 46 at night to 70 during the day. Do you think I could eliminate the heat (mat) and let them be in the enclosed coop now? There are 8 of them and they have been in the greenhouse (not heated) with just the heat mat at night. I don't have electricity in the coop but they are cramped and want to get out and fly and run. They are roosting now too.

Thanks, to anyone who can help me out.

We moved ours out at 7 and 8 weeks, they were mostly fully feathered and we kept a heat lamp on their roost area at night, due to the fact we got some cold 30 degree lows here in mid-May. They did fine, puffed up their feathers and stayed warm but I still worried a bit.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom