Temperature for storing hatching eggs

When I'm not lazy, I separate the eggs I plan on hatching and take them to the basement and put them in automatic egg turners. The basement is higher in humidity and much cooler.
Temperature and humidity depend on how long you plan on storing. I see you found a chart in post #5 above which shows this. The longer they will be stored, the closer to the lower end of physiological zero they should be kept at.
Normally blunt end up is correct but if one is storing longer than ten days, evidence shows that storing small end up is preferable.

@slordaz so you think storing fertile eggs for hatching with a hen and incubating should be different? It does make sense as chicken collect their eggs at more than 15C. I meant storing eggs for incubation, excuse me.
@Ridgerunner thank you fort the article. It says 13-18C. I will not get that humidity either, but I will be storing for 10 days and will see what happens. Pointing down and turning is OK, I do the turning manually at least 3 times/day whenever I have time.

@slordaz so you think storing fertile eggs for hatching with a hen and incubating should be different? It does make sense as chicken collect their eggs at more than 15C. I meant storing eggs for incubation, excuse me.
@Ridgerunner thank you fort the article. It says 13-18C. I will not get that humidity either, but I will be storing for 10 days and will see what happens. Pointing down and turning is OK, I do the turning manually at least 3 times/day whenever I have time.
Chickens also aren't on them much while building up the eggs they are going to sit on so they have to deal with the weather in the area that varies, mine tend to build the nest and just leave the eggs in it so they don't get a draft while they build up what they plan to hatch, I do incubator cause my hens think they should try to sit on 30 eggs at a time lol
Broody I wouldn't let sit on more than a dozen and if they don't like it they go in broody breaker, as I do have incubators

The zone of suspended development is (-2°C - 27°C/28.4 - 80.6°F) the lower you go the longer you can suspend their growth. but ideal is around 15°C/59°F if you want to keep them longer suspended. The humidity is a whole different ball game though. I keep them my pantry where the cold water pipes go up the wall, but I haven't got a scooby doo what the humidity is. Maybe I should test it, but the house has normally about 50% when the heating is off, like now.

Back
Top Bottom