Temperature range for Button Quails?

Jacob Duckman

Chirping
Jul 4, 2016
Lehigh Valley
What temperature range can button quails survive? (with dry unheated shelter)

I can't seem to find an answer for this one anywhere.. My best guess from all the pieces of info i've pieces together so far is -5 F to 90 F, or usda Zone 7.

That sounds about right. We have an official (as in issued by the government) care guide for button quail and harlequin quail here in Denmark, which states that both species can live outside during winter, as long as they have shelter. I believe they mention spruce branches as suitable shelter. And -5 F is about the lowest a normal winter here will get during the night. Daytime temps usually don't get that low but very cold nights can get a bit lower. I'm not sure they'd do well in -5 F for weeks on end, but at least they should be able to cope with it for several hours. Personally, this is only my second winter of keeping buttons and last winter wasn't very cold - plus I kept them in an old barn, so I'm not sure they were exposed to anything below 14 F. But they all survived that with no issue, apart from flocking to the water dish every time the ice was swapped for water.

Back
Top Bottom