Temperature reading confusion!

Jadey222

In the Brooder
May 16, 2021
Hi everyone : ) Totally new here...

I have recently got 6 silkie hatching eggs... I have borrowed an incubator from a friend. It’s the Brinsea Octagon 20 DX.

There are 3 different readings coming up on the digital display?! Why would this be... I don’t know which one to take notice of!

Hi and :welcome.

Do you have an independent thermometer? I've found incubator displays are often inaccurate, some significantly.

I have a couple of the Octagon 20 Advances, but that's obviously a different model. Perhaps these instructions from Brinsea will be helpful.
Hi and thanks for your response -

So frustrating, as I popped the eggs in because it was at optimal temperature (37.5 c) for a while and then after checking after an hour it was sky high! worried the eggs will have been damaged now.

I don’t have any other thermometer. Not sure what to do now.

Since you don't have an independent thermometer in there, you can't really be sure if the readings are accurate, right? So it could be running lower than the display's reading (or higher 😬). An independent thermometer - and hygrometer - that has been checked for accuracy is a must when incubating.

Does your friend from whom you borrowed the unit have an independent thermometer you can borrow? Has s/he had good hatches and/or have a sense for whether the temperature has been optimal?

Since you don't have an independent thermometer in there, you can't really be sure if the readings are accurate, right? So it could be running lower than the display's reading (or higher 😬). An independent thermometer - and hygrometer - that has been checked for accuracy is a must when incubating.

Does your friend from whom you borrowed the unit have an independent thermometer you can borrow? Has s/he had good hatches and/or have a sense for whether the temperature has been optimal?
Thanks for your reply - The incubator does have a thermometer which is built in. But its flicking between 3 different readings (my friend said it doesn’t normally do this!) - so frustrating.

I will get a separate thermometer and see what happens. Thanks 😊

Good luck w/thermometers. I have a shoe box full of them from cheapies to super expensive w/certs and I don't think any two read the same.

I found the old style large mercury (preferred) or alcohol filled laboratory grade thermometers at least can check by putting them in a glass full of ice cubes and just enuf water to cover and see what it reads. Should be 0°C or 32°F and if isn't at least know what amount to add/subtract to correct.

not that helps in a first time case but I've ended up adjusting temps in response to how over or under desired days of hatching.

Back
Top Bottom