temperture

jammyjammy2112

Songster
7 Years
May 23, 2012
ireland
hello i put 9 eggs into my incubator i bought today 3 buff orpington blacks one polish and 1 silkie and one cross between a silkie and a ligth sussex and 2 others i forget there name
smile.png

the temperture in the incubator is 38 degreese its suppose to be 37.5 degrees celciouse rigth will that exctra . 5 degrease do any harm a man in my street set up the incubator and it was right last time i hatched 8 out of ten it is unusullay hot in ireland this past 2 weeks in and around its 30s thats very hot for ireland maybe not in other countries but here its wicked hot
droolin.gif
so the question is will that extra .5 degreese do any harm thanks they have only been in a day and i dont want to adjust it becouse last time i did it it broke

Last edited:
28*C is way too cold. You need to get it to 37.5*C or as close as possible to. But before you change the settings though, put another thermometer in there and double check the temperature. I once thought my incubator was running too cold and it turned out my thermometer was a few degrees off. I ended up cooking half the eggs. And talk about cooking, temperatures in the 30's are hot for Ireland! We spent a few months there and I don't think it went over 10* once LOL

Last edited:
sorry i must have press 2 on my keybord by mistake i ment to type 38 degrease haha sorry about the confusion there and yes its extremely hot now today i think 29 degrease today in ireland so back to the topic. is 38 ok for the eggs or should it be lower i dont want to adjust the temp incase i brake it again
smile.png

Oh o.k. No 38*C is fine. Good luck with the hatch!

It is said that a temperature of 105*F (40.5*C) for a few hours could kill or harm the embryos. Keep in mind though that it takes awhile for the core temperature of the egg to rise, so if you expose the eggs to a temperature of 105*F for a few minutes they may not even notice, but after 5-6 hours, especially during the early stages of incubation and embryo development, it could kill all the embryos. If the core of the developing egg reaches a temperature of 103*F (39.4*C) it is pretty much guaranteed that the chicks will be killed. Exposure to very high temperatures during incubation can also result in handicapped chicks. During the early stages of development, for instance, it effects the chicks' eye development, during later stages it effects the chicks' feet and leg development etc. So basically you can have some heat spikes that won't harm the chicks and some that will. It all depends on the duration and the temperature.

Last edited:
It is said that a temperature of 105*F (40.5*C) for a few hours could kill or harm the embryos. Keep in mind though that it takes awhile for the core temperature of the egg to rise, so if you expose the eggs to a temperature of 105*F for a few minutes they may not even notice, but after 5-6 hours, especially during the early stages of embryo development, it could kill all the embryos. If the core of the developing egg reaches a temperature of 103*F (39.4*C) it is pretty much guaranteed that the chicks will be killed. Exposure to very high temperatures during incubation can also result in handicapped chicks. During the early stages of development, for instance, it effects the chicks' eye development, during later stages it effects the chicks' feet and leg development etc. So basically you can have some heat spikes that won't harm the chicks and some that will. It all depends on the duration and the temperature.
Thanks for the response you gave it helped me figure out what could have happened to on of my chicks legs as when it was hatched under a broody we had crazy hot temps up to 106 even with a water cooler in the coop and fans then moved them to incubator to control temps better great info for future hatches

Back
Top Bottom