Temporary Brooder

Star2014

Songster
6 Years
Aug 15, 2014
I'm looking to build a temporary brooder to put in an outside stall. I'd like to put the hen who will be hatching them in with them. They will be in the house for about 2 weeks after hatching. I would like to construct it so it is not permanent but could be taken off the legs and stored. I would like it to be a few feet off the ground but am not sure how to construct one and have not been able to find any plans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to build a temporary brooder to put in an outside stall. I'd like to put the hen who will be hatching them in with them. They will be in the house for about 2 weeks after hatching. I would like to construct it so it is not permanent but could be taken off the legs and stored. I would like it to be a few feet off the ground but am not sure how to construct one and have not been able to find any plans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
So you have a broody hen setting on eggs?
.....and are going to keep the chicks in the house?

No sorry. The hen is in the house to hatch and will be with the chicks. We’d like her to stay with the chicks but the run she’s in isn’t secure for chicks (there is a snake who comes in and we can’t find where and are a couple chicks once). So I would like to set up a temporary brooder for her until the chicks are old big enough.

I was thinking around 2 weeks maybe. Depends on if it gets warmer outside or stays the same as the stall isn’t very warm. I’m not sure how big to make it as I know the hen will be in it too.

I think that's a great idea. However, a temporary structure would be a tall order. As stated above, the hen needs room to roam. Why not build it with sufficient room & once the chicks are of age the hen can be removed & the new addition can double as a pullet/cockerel holding area. This is the set up I have & it sure comes in handy.

I was thinking around 2 weeks maybe. Depends on if it gets warmer outside or stays the same as the stall isn’t very warm. I’m not sure how big to make it as I know the hen will be in it too.
They don't need 'warmth', better they all stay outside near the flock.
I have a broody right now in a 4x6 partition inside coop, but they have their own run.
Where are you located?

Might be better to snake proof(1/2" Hardware Cloth) the stall for now and future broods/grow-outs.

The stall is going to have to be converted back into a horse stall once our mare gets back which is why I wanted a temporary set up.

Back
Top Bottom