Temporary confinement/brooding panel

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
8 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
My latest request has been completed by my resident builder (husband). This was part of the long term plan of this coop from the beinning and I've had a chance to try it out now. Primarily intended to create an in-coop brooding space, it also works as a separator for non-communicable issues, such as Myrtle' s recent recovery from crop surgery or integration of birds in the look but don't touch stage, etc.
The panel hooks over the front lip of the poop board at the top, slides just right between two exposed 2x4 at the sides and there are anchors at the bottom on either side for added stability (though during the inaugural use the anchor were not used and proven unneccessary). There is a small access door, primarily intended as a portal for early integration but also works for reaching feed and water station. The ease of sliding the panel up & down and secure hold of the track created by the 2x4s allows it to be slid up for larger access, cleaning, reaching birds more easily, etc. When not in use it stores easily elsewhere, taking up very little space. It's screened with 1/4 inch hardware cloth.
In place, it creates a 2ft x 4ft area suitable for brooding or larger birds needing to be separated for a time. We'll be testing it's brooder function when chicks arrive late next week :jumpy
20180203_104240.jpg

Was thinking about this.....you may need to narrow that door opening for integrating chicks. I had to narrow mine to about 3.5" wide before hens couldn't get thru.

I'm interested in this, designed several poop boards xl size for the ability to do similar. I'm having a hard time understanding how they are secured at the sides that allows them to slide up.

Was thinking about this.....you may need to narrow that door opening for integrating chicks. I had to narrow mine to about 3.5" wide before hens couldn't get thru.

Yes, my builder went a little off course from my measurements to what he thought I needed, lol.....by the time I saw the panel it was too late to adjust but I have a couple of easy mods that can be used to shrink the opening.

I'm interested in this, designed several poop boards xl size for the ability to do similar. I'm having a hard time understanding how they are secured at the sides that allows them to slide up.

I'll get some pictures this weekend to show these better.

Looking forward to seeing the details. I have a brooder set up but having other flexible options would be great as well. Looks like yours was well thought out.

Love it. I have a similar spot under some extra perches that could be easily modified. I do not use a poop board, so would have to install one, then build the side wall, and front panel. I do have a raised broody area that is 2.5 x 3'. The girls use it as a community nest box. This area is above the pop door, and can be opened from the back so a broody hen could go in/out of her area to a secure area within the run. Always thinking of options to set up broody space for more coop versatility.

Back
Top Bottom