Temporary daytime-only “run” containment for chicks?

But I wasn't thinking about taking them out on warm days and where to put them when I did that. I don't want them in a box where they can't feel the ground so just not sure what to do......
The best solution is to get them into their permanent outdoor coop & run, as soon as possible. If you are still building it, you may be able to finish the fenced run first, so the chicks can spend their days in it while you finish the coop.

In the meanwhile, you can bring some of the outdoor things into their brooder-- piece of sod, shovelful of dirt, grass clipped into short pieces, a dandelion plant to pick at, and so forth.

If you have a safe yard, but just need to keep chicks from wandering off, you can use a laundry basket upside down on the lawn, or tape cardboard boxes together to make a "fence." But things like those will not provide any protection from predators, so you will have to decide whether the benefit (chicks outside sooner) is worth the risk (hawk, or dog, or whatever.)

The best solution is to get them into their permanent outdoor coop & run, as soon as possible. If you are still building it, you may be able to finish the fenced run first, so the chicks can spend their days in it while you finish the coop.

In the meanwhile, you can bring some of the outdoor things into their brooder-- piece of sod, shovelful of dirt, grass clipped into short pieces, a dandelion plant to pick at, and so forth.

If you have a safe yard, but just need to keep chicks from wandering off, you can use a laundry basket upside down on the lawn, or tape cardboard boxes together to make a "fence." But things like those will not provide any protection from predators, so you will have to decide whether the benefit (chicks outside sooner) is worth the risk (hawk, or dog, or whatever.)
I have a fenced in yard so for the most part it is safe unless my dogs are out which is easy enough to make sure they aren't. We do have hawks but there are places we can stick something that they can't swoop down and get them, plus with things in our yard and trees it is a bit harder for them to swoop down which is good since I have a 5lb pomeranian.

The coop and run aren't ready yet but hard to get the run set with out pretty much finishing the coop since it will be a roof covered run attached to the coop, then a HW cloth covered run attached to that. Hoping to have more done this week. My chicks are just over 2 weeks old so not like they are getting way up there in age that I have to start getting them used to it but we will have some high 70* days to low 80's here which is very warm for us this time of year so would like for them to enjoy it before the 50's come back. :) Thanks for the ideas may have to try some of them.

Back
Top Bottom