Temporary Move?

Melbourne Chickens

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2018
Hi there,

So I'm thinking of going to my folks place for about a week over the Christmas period. It's about 2hrs out of the city, in the country. They have a really perfect closed off back garden for the chickens, with heaps of grass and plants for them to eat.

I was thinking of taking my 3 chickens up for the week! I drive a ute so I was planning on moving their coop and taking some temp fencing as well. I'd take their food and water sources too. Their coop is one of those straightforward small hutches which I think would be pretty easy to take with me.

I've had these chickens for about 3 months now, they are pretty used to their coop and stuff. When I picked them up the first time, they spent 2hrs in the car and they seemed pretty fine. Do you fine folks think it'd be an issue to move them for a week? I think they'd love the grass and the plants, it's a much bigger space compared to my inner city front garden. My little cousins and grandparents would love to see the chickens as well!

Thanks in advance.

You could do it. It would take the worry out about leaving their care in the hands of another.
You should have some amprolium (Corid) on hand in the event they get exposed to a new strain of coccidia that their systems haven't developed an tolerance to and come down with coccidiosis.
I would also support them with a little extra nutrition during the visit. Add a little nutri-drench or equivalent to their water.
Having their coop, food, water and you should keep the stress down.
Good luck!

great that you can take their coop too! as others have said, you'll also know they'll be in the best hands - yours - while you're away :)

That's a great idea! Sounds like a perfect solution for the holidays. Your birds will love it I'm sure. I know you said the garden was closed off but perhaps take an extra look around to make sure you will not have any predator problems "out in the country".
Cheers!

I know you said the garden was closed off but perhaps take an extra look around to make sure you will not have any predator problems "out in the country".
Not sure I'd let them 'range' until after a few days...
...and first time for short duration(30min) close to roost time.
Wants pics of coop and chooks in Ute :D Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom