Temporary paralysis??

Franov2

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
Hi, Newbie here with 3 chickens about 3-4 years old. Yesterday the Arcana developed an odd illness that all my internet searches do not match. Maybe someone here can help. 2 days ago when coming down the ramp from the coop she crashed head first into the ground and stayed there motionless. I picked her up and set her outside where she stumbled and used her spread wings to keep from keeling over. I put her back up in the coop because one of her sisters was starting to peck at her. An hour later I put her out in the yard and all was fine and she ate food. This morning when opening the coop she was down below tucked in a corner and looked dead. I picked her up and placed her by the food and she ate and seemed normal. Close examination reveals no pests, no swelling, no eye secretions, no scabbing, no odd breathing but her face is pale and she has very little comb. Usually she would put up quite a fuss being held but not now. Hopefully someone knows what the ailment and cure is. Thank you.

I would say possible neurological injury from fall. Like a concussion or neck, brain injury. Sometimes these things heal and unfortunately, sometimes they don't. Eating/drinking is good sign but if she is not able to get to food will at very least need your help to find it til has had opportunity to heal. Not sure about supportive treatment to see if she recovers... Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I would put her by herself for a few days to allow her to recover.... It surely not helpful when another bird pecks on her after a nasty fall...
I'd also give her poly vi sol without iron..... it's a vitamin boost and helps them to recover....

I would check her for lice and mites. Mites can cause anemia and weakness. She also could be dehydrated or weak from not eating. A dog crate inside the coop or run with food and water, where she can still remain with her coop mates would help for a few days. Poultry Nutridrench or Poultry Cell vitamins given orally 3 ml daily could help. Those include vitamins, trace minerals, electrolytes, and amino acids. If she has not been laying recently her lameness could be related to a reproductive issue. Check her breastbone for weight loss. Look at her legs and joints for any swelling.

I would check her for lice and mites. Mites can cause anemia and weakness. She also could be dehydrated or weak from not eating. A dog crate inside the coop or run with food and water, where she can still remain with her coop mates would help for a few days. Poultry Nutridrench or Poultry Cell vitamins given orally 3 ml daily could help. Those include vitamins, trace minerals, electrolytes, and amino acids. If she has not been laying recently her lameness could be related to a reproductive issue. Check her breastbone for weight loss. Look at her legs and joints for any swelling.
Just checked her again. no signs of pests. She is eating just don't know how much. She stopped laying months ago while healthy. Definitely weight loss with a bony chest and slow/weakness. I'll try the vitamins today.

Back
Top Bottom