Temps oops

Lakesidecochins

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 27, 2011
Bozrah ct
I went out and bought a temp/humidity gage from
Petco. I set some expensive eggs in my little giant incubator.
They started to develope but in a two week window they died one by one.
The temp gage read 99.5 humidity 60 percent.
So I bought the little giant thermometer and put it in just to see what it read.
To my horror it was reading 103.9 so I killed the batch on this other stupid reptile temp and humidity gage.
But my point is weird how at this temp they managed to still develope to between 7 to even 12 days.
I thought they couldn't last even a hour at that temp?
Cindy

Not sure u can do that with a regular thermometer for a
Incubator? Those ones on u tube were cooking ones with the
Metal tips. But I think I'm good now with the little giant
Incubator one. Crossing fingers.

If you can get anything to grow, let alone hatch, in a LG styrofoam incubator then you have beat the odds. LGs are infamous for temperatures spikes and fluctuations. The thermometer on paper that comes with the incubator is pretty useless and terribly inaccurate. When you bought the reptile gauges at Petco, did you check the other gauges on the shelf to see if they all read the same thing? I guarantee you they all had different readings. If you have a still air bator, I recommend having at least 2 thermometers in different positions. Digital thermometer/hygrometers are usually good for the temp but not very accurate with the humidity. You may want to consider a dry incubation method which can eliminate many humidity concerns. If this is your first experience with the LG incubator, the results you got are the same as many, many folks got as well. If you choose to continue using the LG, I highly recommend using cheap or free fertile eggs for a couple times until you feel confident blowing a small fortune on shipped eggs. Good Luck!

I haven't been into the chicken world in about 4
Years. But I use to raise and breed silkies mostly.
I have used the lg to hatch silkies, turkey's, button quail, runner ducks, and peacocks.
I have had good even great hatches as well as weird and low hatches.
What I did was put a towel around the sides to maintain the heat better.
My point in this thread mostly was don't get a reptile tank type gage and think its just
Going to be fine like I did. The most important thing u can do is
Spend a little money on a great digital one which is what I did last night.
I checked it against the little giant thermometer this am and found out that
The LG thermometer read 99.5 and the expensive digital read 100.2, I'm going with the
Digital.

Back
Top Bottom