Tempted to get some more ducks.

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
So, I was just looking on farmstock to see if there were any ads for muscovies, Calls or mallards near by but I found some Cayuga ducklings. I have to say that I’m tempted to get them, but I’ll have to check if I’m allowed too. If I do get in contact with the person I’ll see if they can send photos of the parents, as I’d probably show them. Thankfully they’re a dark breed so dirt won’t be a visable.

https://www.farmstock.com.au/Classifieds/sale/391511.html

I’m also just going to make sure the photo wasn’t taken from the internet as it sure seems to look like it.

Edit: Found a Gumtree ad for them as well, it has photos of the parents.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lud...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

They are very cute. $20 unsexed seem pretty expensive but I live in the U.S. Is that a reasonable price in your area for non-show stock?
I believe its reasonable for Aust. Everythings more expensive here then U.S.
When you say see if you're allowed to... do you mean limited to how many breeds you can keep? Or if you can have any ducks or not?

They are very cute. $20 unsexed seem pretty expensive but I live in the U.S. Is that a reasonable price in your area for non-show stock? I guess what I'm saying if it it wouldn't cost too much more you could seek out babies from show parents?
But, yes, always more ducklings. :lau
Yes ducks are very expensive.

My Mallard Aussie Calls were $200 for the pair (I got them as adults), and they aren’t the best birds and the drake has a few faults, and both the drake and the duck could have a larger head, smaller body, smaller bills, and centre eyes. The duck went alright in show taking second place to my Mallard duck who got first. The Mallard who I showed isn’t even of the best quality, she’s a bit too racey, hasn’t got the best lacing, not a nice buff on throat, a split web, and a bunch of other things.

Also, muscovies (adult) tend to be about $50 for a drake, and $20-25 for a duck. At pet shops ducklings tend to be anywhere from $10-15. City Chicks ducklings are very expensive.

I would get some show quality Cayugas but they’re very hard to find as Ducks aren’t even a big thing here.

Last edited:
Yes ducks are very expensive. My Mallard Aussie Calls were $200 for the pair, and they aren’t the best birds and the drake has a few faults, and both the drake and the duck could have a larger head, smaller body, smaller bills, and centre eyes. The duck went alright in show taking second place to my Mallard duck who got first. The Mallard who I showed isn’t even of the best quality, she’s a bit too racey, hasn’t got the best lacing, not a nice buff on throat, a split web, and a bunch of other things.

Also, muscovies tend to be about $50 for a drake, and $20-25 for a duck. At pet shops ducklings tend to be anywhere from $10-15. City Chicks ducklings are very expensive.

I would get some show quality Cayugas but they’re very hard to find as Ducks aren’t even a big thing here.
Oh my goodness. In the US you can get ducklings for about $5.
wow.
In that case, yes, YES to the Cayugas. Why not? If they don't turn out great quality it sounds like you can sell then for a profit, offsetting the feed costs for the other birds?

Arrr got ya! I convinced my parents to let me have a minature pony when I was 16. Atleast ducks are productive animals. They're eggs make the most delicious cakes. Good luck!
Agreed. Although I did get a pair of Brown Chinese Geese yesterday, spent money I have been saving up. They were $400. Great birds from Peel Ridge Stud that I’m looking forward to showing, and getting some goslings from.

Back
Top Bottom