Ten days since last egg!

Skyoaks413

In the Brooder
Feb 1, 2016
Arroyo Grande, CA
One of my ladies has had a few broken egg issues her eggs are very large...ten days ago she passed a broken egg and she hasn't laid another one since. She is pulling out her neck and fluffy butt feathers and I can tell she's not herself. She's been in the nesting box but nothing happens... I'm sure she's backed up by now what can I do??

Last edited:
How old is she? When you feel around her vent and belly area do you notice anything abnormal? Could she be broody? You said she is removing her feathers and staying in the nest.
[/quote she just turned two years old, her vent is normal and her belly is round and hard. She is acting broody but not laying. She is pulling tons of feathers but in the run too she's not staying in the nesting box all day. Thank you!

Broody hens don't lay. She could be going broody. I'm not really sure what to advise with the info you gave. The broken eggs are weird. Has she been getting enough calcium? What breed is she? Could she be stopping laying? Though the belly is odd. I hope someone else comes by that can help you more.

How old is she? When you feel around her vent and belly area do you notice anything abnormal? Could she be broody? You said she is removing her feathers and staying in the nest.

Also this has happened twice before she has really large eggs and is a tiny hen....she will slow down and act ill for a day or two then I find broken egg in the coop and she's fine. I'm just afraid it's been so long since she laid an egg that she's blocked again.

Broody hens don't lay. She could be going broody. I'm not really sure what to advise with the info you gave. The broken eggs are weird. Has she been getting enough calcium? What breed is she? Could she be stopping laying? Though the belly is odd. I hope someone else comes by that can help you more.

Yes the broken egg thing is strange she's the only one that's happened to...it's like she strains and cracks the egg inside her then has to pass all the pieces. She is a golden sexlink, I have oyster shell available at all times and they get layer feed.

Yeah, I would be worried too. Really hope someone else comes that knows better, because I'm not sure what to do.

The hard belly could mean she has eggs or something inside, but I wouldn't know what to do if she did. Maybe put a needle in or cut it or something, but I wouldn't know how to do that without hurting her. Don't try that!

Yeah, I would be worried too. Really hope someone else comes that knows better, because I'm not sure what to do.

The hard belly could mean she has eggs or something inside, but I wouldn't know what to do if she did. Maybe put a needle in or cut it or something, but I wouldn't know how to do that without hurting her. Don't try that!

Haha thank you! I've read sometimes a warm bath helps if she's egg bound but she is the leader of my flock and doesn't love being held so I can only imagine the task of getting her in a bath! Thank you for your input!
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom