Tendon Cutting Adult Geese?

Well watch them, They have VERY powerful wings for their size. I have a friend whom had a vet pinion her Egyptians and she lives on a hill and she said they could run down the hill and make it over a 6ft fence easily. I also have one that is pinioned and she can make it about 2 feet of the ground for 8-10 feet..

Ryan

Are you serious? You cut one side so they fly in a circle and get tired is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. If geese, swans or ducks are pinioned correctly then they cannot fly at all. They will get lift on one side and flip over every time. The exception are the whistling ducks because they have such a short, broad wing. I have many pinioned egyptian geese and there is one that was done incorrectly, has 3 of his primaries left and he can fly in a straight line for quite a distance. If he tries to turn then he loses lift and crashes, he does not fly around in circles. Tendon cutting, when done correctly, is an excellent method of de-flighting large birds that leaves them looking anatomically correct. Just remember that on the birds that require Federal Permits you still need to clip the right hind toe if they are not pinioned.

Last edited:
Quote:
Im dead serious... I DIDNT ask how to clip wings OR pinion I ASKED HOW TO TEDON CUT A GOOSE! I dont need lessons on how to pinion or clip a birds wings.. I know how to do that....

Can I get this thread closed?

I have watched the Back Yard Chicken forums about two weeks now and I have never seen so much misinformation and heresay about birds. Much of the information I am reading on here is not from personal experience, it seems to be from I heard this or that and now I am regurgitating it as the truth. My post was not directed at you Ryan and I should have made that abundantly clear, I agree with everything you had written but when Hot2Pot said that a wing clipped bird goes in circles until it gets tired I had seen enough b.s. There are a few on this forum that seem to have real experience with wild type waterfowl but most seem to have no clue but yet act as if they have been doing it their whole life.
Sorry for the misunderstanding and sorry for Hi-Jacking your post,
Mark

Here is what one gentleman said about this subject, I will see if I can find some info in any of my old APWS or Gazette magazines as I remember one or two articles in them about tendon clipping. If I can then I will post the info here.

3) TENDON CLIPPING

Tendon clipping is a method I do not use often and I am not real good at it because it does take a little more time and surgery is preformed. But, I have found that tendon clipping has not done well on small ducks or small geese because they tend to heal well enough to fly again; athough not as well. Tendon clipping is a much nicer apperance to the birds that have it though because they still have both wings and will still cross the neatly on their backs. I just went out side to take some photos of tendon clipped birds to show how nice they look with the wings crossed, natural appearance. To tendon clip I take the bird and bend the wing back against it body in a natural resting position. With a razor knife I cut into the joint where the wing bends, severing the tendon, if you do not go into the area and clip out a small section it will heal back. I have found a faster and less stressful method, after cutting clean thru the tendon secure the wing tightly closed with an electrical zip ties until the wing has healed. With the ties on there the wing is immobile and heals in the close position where it will only ever open about 1/3 the way back after you take off the band. Thus, healed and flightless.

here is a link http://lyonusa.com/pdfs/BEAKTRIMMER/B281-125_Wing_Notching.pdf

Last edited:
I just got some Egyptian goslings. They will live in a 2 acre pasture and have a huge area to go in at night. If I dont have them pinioned, will they fly away? I am just learning about all of this.
If I do get them pinioned at what age should I do it? They are just under a week old now.

You can clip em once a year or if you decide to pinion them do it now . Most are pinioned in the first week no longer than 2. Yes, they may fly away if your pen isnt covered.

Back
Top Bottom