Tepe or barrel

confederatemule

Songster
13 Years
Jul 22, 2010
NE Texas
I have 6 roosters. I need a place to keep them other than in an individual cage (rabbit cage). I want to be able to move then to new ground regularly. I would like to put them on tethers. For housing I would like to use a tepe or barrel.

My concern is predators in the night or day. Do any of you have any experience with this?

Mule

I've give thought to something like that, but ...

I like tethering to a barrel, but barrels are expensive. I just bought a 55 gal. for feed and it cost $25.00.

I want to be able to walk up to them and pick them up without a big hassle. For me getting up and down is almost impossible.

When I say "Tipi" I am actually talking about an "A" frame without a run. I believe they can have more freedom on the end of a string.

BTW...my roosters are 2 RIR, 1 Domigue, 1 Leghorn, 1 very large Black, and 1 larger Brama looking.

Without a run I am still concerned about predators. I can have a door of wire for night time predators, but the day time predators will be a problem. Hawks don't really worry me, but dogs and cats do. I have a donkey to protect my goats. But she is not in the same area where the roosters will be.

So... You would build it exactly the same but shorter and add does or handles, close it up at night and open the door during the day. Downside is they are not did pod so you do still have to worry about night time predators.

Most people who do tractors are not free ranging. I can't really see why you'd need to do both.

So... You would build it exactly the same but shorter and add does or handles, close it up at night and open the door during the day. Downside is they are not did pod so you do still have to worry about night time predators.

Most people who do tractors are not free ranging. I can't really see why you'd need to do both.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not the brightest light in the house. What does "they are not did pod" mean?

I will not be free ranging. The rooster will be tethered to the tipi or barrel in a way that he can travel in a 360 degree circle around it and not wrap around it. When I move it I will pick up the tipi or barrel and relocate. If he desires he will be able to fly on top and roost during the day.

Last edited:
dig proof

That's autocorrect for you.

Ah yeah. Sounds like the scene in Jurassic Park with the goat tied to a tree. :/ I can't imagine that turning out well.

A $25 barrel for a coop sounds like one the absolute cheapest options out there. Although, I still can't picture how to effectively use a barrel for a coop, given space and ventilation and such.

I'm not sure why hawks don't worry you, unless they just aren't in your area. Being tied up like that makes them a very good target.

Maybe I'll keep the roosters as they are.
Goats on a temporary tether work just fine. Mine stay behind electric wires most of the time. I do move them around from area to area which means I move the electric fence or build a new one.

Back
Top Bottom