Terrible beak-eye coordination

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MTchick, Mar 30, 2007.

1. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    I know this is totally silly, but I have one chick with really bad beak-eye coordination. All the other chicks can pluck a single grain of rice off the ground, or peck at a tiny speck of cooked egg yolk. This chick consistently pecks about 1/2 inch too low and a little to the left of the target, over and over again. She can't get a treat out of my fingers to save her life- she pecks at the air under them instead. It is kind of comical, yet sad.

She is huge, glossy feathered and very healthy, so it isn't affecting her food intake on the long term, but I was wondering if I've gone nuts, or if other people have observed "far-sighted" pullets.

She couldn't hit the side of barn with her little beak. What gives? Do you think she might be blind in one eye or something?

-MTchick

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I have a hen that does the same thing, yet she manages to be the fattest in the group! [​IMG]

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Slifer was like that too...couldn't catch anything unless you put it right in front of her. Yet she was plump and cantankerous...

4. jeeparoo98

jeeparoo98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    Fairmont, WV
    My three week old chick does this too. She can't even get a mealworm out of my hand. I just want to know if there's a way I can fix this issue. Or what other people have done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by