Terrible experience merging

Keeping them separated until about 17 weeks, when they can eat the layer feed, seems to work well for me. The grow-out pen is a fenced off portion of the main run, and when the 17 weeks is up, I just open the gate and they start mingling with a few pecking order issues that are to be expected, but they are pretty much the same size by then, so no real damage is done.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.
sad.png
If you have the means, I think creating a permanent separate space for them is a good idea. I have successfully integrated birds of the same size and age but I think it's best to keep separate flocks if one is able. Integrating flocks is stressful for birds and humans.

Quote:
I always keep them in,of course,until fully feathered.At that point,I use a chicken wire and metal stake "playpen" for during the day. I do have to carry them all in and out to do this and boy,am I glad when that week is up
wink.png
.I have a wire cage in the coop that becomes home for at least a week after that for the babes.Then I let them out to free-range with the big guys around the 8th day.If I see a problem,I shoo the offender away.This generally works well and they see me as the MaMa hen.The chicks see it too and it makes them trust me more.So far,no problems.Then by the 8th night in the coop,I let them meander in and roost where they will.Of course the babies don't get the best roost spots( by the windows
wink.png
) because the older hens won't always let them into the coop until they are in.I do have some normal pecking behavior with the older ones taking the younger ones food,etc. but I put extra feeders outside and an extra waterer.The babies soon learn to wait their turn.Now mine have been slowly integrating for the last week.The babies are about 12 weeks old now. I had two "flocks" running around the yard but slowly they are mingling in.I have so far done this successfully two times.
So sorry to hear about your hen
sad.png

Are you sure all your chickens have enough space? Do the babies have a place to "hide" that the bigger ones can't get to?

Quote:
I always keep them in,of course,until fully feathered.At that point,I use a chicken wire and metal stake "playpen" for during the day. I do have to carry them all in and out to do this and boy,am I glad when that week is up
wink.png
.I have a wire cage in the coop that becomes home for at least a week after that for the babes.Then I let them out to free-range with the big guys around the 8th day.If I see a problem,I shoo the offender away.This generally works well and they see me as the MaMa hen.The chicks see it too and it makes them trust me more.So far,no problems.Then by the 8th night in the coop,I let them meander in and roost where they will.Of course the babies don't get the best roost spots( by the windows
wink.png
) because the older hens won't always let them into the coop until they are in.I do have some normal pecking behavior with the older ones taking the younger ones food,etc. but I put extra feeders outside and an extra waterer.The babies soon learn to wait their turn.Now mine have been slowly integrating for the last week.The babies are about 12 weeks old now. I had two "flocks" running around the yard but slowly they are mingling in.I have so far done this successfully two times.
sad.png

Are you sure all your chickens have enough space? Do the babies have a place to "hide" that the bigger ones can't get to?

Thanks for the replies from everyone
smile.png
I do not have anything set up that would be a safe haven for smaller chickens that all could not get to, I will work on this also.

Last edited:
Quote:
wink.png
wink.png
sad.png

Thanks for the replies from everyone
smile.png
I do not have anything set up that would be a safe haven for smaller chickens that all could not get to, I will work on this also.

It doesn't have to be fancy...just a place for the smaller to hide with food and water to get away from the larger ones.Even a piece of plywood low enough to the ground for smaller ones to get under but not the bigger ones.Good luck
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom