Terrified Chicken? What to do?

Chickens can be real brutes to each other. I had a severe case of bullying once and I ended up having to rehome the bullied hen. Whatever the problem was I couldn't stop it. She settled into her new home and was very happy. Are you sure your chicken is a male? I've ever seen a male squat before. It probably does happen just I've never seen it.
Yes, I was wondering if it is perhaps a female getting ready to start laying. The submissive squat would be appropriate in that case.
Regardless, probably keeping the chicken isolated for a while so it can regain strength and confidence would be a good idea.

Chickens can be real brutes to each other. I had a severe case of bullying once and I ended up having to rehome the bullied hen. Whatever the problem was I couldn't stop it. She settled into her new home and was very happy. Are you sure your chicken is a male? I've ever seen a male squat before. It probably does happen just I've never seen it.
Thank you for sharing about your experience.
I almost rehomed a bird a while ago but my hormonal fella calmed down before any real problems emerged.
My bullied buddy could be female- but we've always called it a He. Don't know for sure because he doesn't lay or crow and has no visible comb, wattles, or saddle feathers.
Might be a she that is late on laying.

Yes, I was wondering if it is perhaps a female getting ready to start laying. The submissive squat would be appropriate in that case.
Regardless, probably keeping the chicken isolated for a while so it can regain strength and confidence would be a good idea.
Little handsome Travolta could be a lady after all.
Come to think of it... there WAS an egg in the nesting box I found him hiding in- but he was with one of the Spitzhaubens, and I assumed she laid the egg.
With Travolta separated, I'll know soon.
So, maybe the squats is normal.
But the added timidity is from bullying. If this is the case, I feel a lot better.

It wouldn't let me update my post-
UPDATE ON MY POLISH.
I went to feed him and couldn't find him. I searched for a good while and eventually found him behind the garage. I was going to pick him up and put him in the coop on one of the perches, but he stood up tall and proud and ran! No limp or sign of any problem. I got him in for the night, and he seems perfectly fine.
I'm going to continue to keep him away from his bullies for a while, but I think he (or she!) will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom