Terrified to free range

Hey all,

What is wrong with me? We have a good size yard and I have been so excited to free range. Now my kiddos are ready to be let out (with supervision) and I am terrified. Especially as yesterday I went to and a hawk flew up and landed on the fence eyeing my neighbors chickens. 😳

Any tips for deterring hawks? Adding more cover opportunities for the chickens? We live in the city. I understand having them free range is part of taking the risks, but I want them to as I don’t want them boxed up in just the coop and run.

I will take any advice on anything to do with free ranging. 😬

Thank you!
Free ranging 100% comes with risks. That was my plan from the get go and lost a hen in the first week I had them in their paddock. It was a hawk.

I live where there are a lot of hawks. I have 5 acres of unused farmland covered in mice. Hawks are here on the daily.

But some tips are:

Letting them out during the “non hawk” or “lower hawk” times of the day. 2pm and later.

Shiny movements- you can buy bird detergent twist rods that you hang in trees or get some shepherds hooks to put them on. Colored flags and banners.

Noise- wind chimes

An owl decoy or “scare crow”- just know those have to be moved weekly because hawks are very smart! This could be something you set up tho during the times you want to them out since it wouldn’t always be in that one spot. Just know the owl may make your chickens nervous.

Definitely have places for them to hide.

And then some other things that are more temporary fixes but aren’t 100% necessary unless you have fulltime free range are: adding black chickens to your flock. Hawks mistake them as crows and hawks and crows are natural enemies. And then secondly would be adding a guard “dog”. Either a literal dog, but it can be other bigger livestock or simply another protective feathered creature such as a goose or Guinea fowl.

I will say that after the first hawk attack back in summer of last year- there have been no other hawk attacks. Although losing one was awful- it did help my flock know about looking to the sky’s for predators. My chickens stay covered and only go out in the open in the afternoon. My roo is very vigilant on watching for hawks and they travel by running under the natural protections I kept in their paddock.

During this colder weather here in the PNW I was hoping to see less hawks- but I still see them (and bald eagles!) perched in the tall trees in the area.

My Roo does a great job tho although I myself am not opposed to run out and swing my arms around to scare off anything that is lurking 😅😅

Ok good to know! Lol makes me feel better that it may not be a necessity. The run is 6x8 with 2 large breeds and 5 bantams (anymore roos will be rehomed)

Thank you! I think our run is a little under the recommendations I have gotten here. Which I thought maybe we could let them out around if both my husband and I and our 2 heelers are all out on watch. I figured it would be good enrichment. 🤣

I thought you were going to say you chicks were afraid to free range, they often are to start with. But no, it's you.

Any time you let the out there is a risk, even if you are there. There are stories on here where a hawk or fox took a chicken within 15 feet of where a person was standing. Some of us can free range for years without a loss, even if hawks, foxes, and coyotes are around. Others can lose chickens immediately. You just don't know what will happen.

If you or the dogs are out there, that is a deterrent. Having places where they can get under can help. That might be something propped up on cinder blocks or such. I saw where someone used an old satellite dish. Could be a bit of plywood, furniture, plastic, whatever. If they can get under bushes that could be good. Is your run covered, they may duck back in there if they see a threat. Smaller chickens are more at risk than larger chickens and you have bantams.

Some people can handle losing a chicken to a predator easier than others. That run is pretty small. It is your call but I think you'd be better off building a larger run.
Thank you so much for all that info! How much bigger would you reccomend for expanding the run? Total of 5-6 chickens. The coop itself is a 4x6. And yes it is covered!

I'd double the size of that run, at least.
Also about security: The hardware cloth is not secured well enough, and the latches could be opened by any raccoon who shows up. And about the structure: Snow load! Your run wouldn't survive here, don't you have snow too?
Mary
Perfect thanks for the recommendations. This is the first time having chickens. We have the mesh nice and secure both from the outside and the inside. We also placed the predator apron all around the run. Yep we have snow. They have been crazy mild though for years…not a good thing. Definitely will switch those latches though!

We plan on winterizing everything well for the winter. What do you mean by the run not handling the snow? Thank you!

View attachment 3221920
we have lots of hawks here. The yard is also pretty open. We move the chickens around on a weekly basis with the electric fencing. We do have a mobile chicken shelter that we made that they can go hide under.

our rooster is super watchful and gets the hens to go and shelter whenever the hawks come around. the crows are also super useful in chasing them off.
Awesome! I love the built shelter! We planned on free ranging hence we didn’t build a gigantic covered run, lol then I just got scared!

My neighbors free range all day and have yet to lose a chicken to anything other than there dog years ago. They even have a few bantams and a little serama roo currently…thanks so much for sharing!

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I have had chickens for about 5 years and I've not yet had a loss due to predation. I don't free range, but I do let them out for supervised foraging time, and I have a very large run and covered yard for them.

I have 19 chickens and 5 ducks. Their coop is 8x8, but the attached covered run is ~215 sq ft, and they have access to that 24/7. There's also a 20 sq ft duck house that opens onto the run, but the ducks prefer to sleep in the run. Divas...

The yard is surrounded by electric netting and covered with heavy duty aviary netting. The duck's pond is in there, too. The yard is 650 sq ft. They have access to that until nightfall when I lock them up in the run. We have pretty much every predator you can name here. When I do let them out on the property, I supervise closely to keep them away from the woods.

Now I used to live in a more suburban neighborhood. The only issue we had were hawks. I just made lots of areas for them to hide, but I am MUCH happier with the aviary netting we have now. If I were back in my old neighborhood, I'd probably rig up the netting somehow.

Truth be told, my neighbors free range their flock, and that's helped keep the predators away. Why work for a meal when you can get it easy? It's all about opportunity vs reward.

Awesome! I love the built shelter! We planned on free ranging hence we didn’t build a gigantic covered run, lol then I just got scared!

My neighbors free range all day and have yet to lose a chicken to anything other than there dog years ago. They even have a few bantams and a little serama roo currently…thanks so much for sharing!
I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but I have had chickens for about 5 years and I've not yet had a loss due to predation. I don't free range, but I do let them out for supervised foraging time, and I have a very large run and covered yard for them.

I have 19 chickens and 5 ducks. Their coop is 8x8, but the attached covered run is ~215 sq ft, and they have access to that 24/7. There's also a 20 sq ft duck house that opens onto the run, but the ducks prefer to sleep in the run. Divas...

The yard is surrounded by electric netting and covered with heavy duty aviary netting. The duck's pond is in there, too. The yard is 650 sq ft. They have access to that until nightfall when I lock them up in the run. We have pretty much every predator you can name here. When I do let them out on the property, I supervise closely to keep them away from the woods.

Now I used to live in a more suburban neighborhood. The only issue we had were hawks. I just made lots of areas for them to hide, but I am MUCH happier with the aviary netting we have now. If I were back in my old neighborhood, I'd probably rig up the netting somehow.

Truth be told, my neighbors free range their flock, and that's helped keep the predators away. Why work for a meal when you can get it easy? It's all about opportunity vs reward.
Love it! I really like the idea of fencing off a smaller area around the coop and run and covering it with netting. And I think that is the direction we will go in and they can have supervised outings until then!

Hey all,

What is wrong with me? We have a good size yard and I have been so excited to free range. Now my kiddos are ready to be let out (with supervision) and I am terrified. Especially as yesterday I went to and a hawk flew up and landed on the fence eyeing my neighbors chickens. 😳

Any tips for deterring hawks? Adding more cover opportunities for the chickens? We live in the city. I understand having them free range is part of taking the risks, but I want them to as I don’t want them boxed up in just the coop and run.

I will take any advice on anything to do with free ranging. 😬

Thank you!
I have always free ranged.... i feel it is the correct way for me. i do lock them up at night if they want to go in..... usually on really hot summer days they do not.. there are pros and con of course.... this article spelled it out very well for me...https://chickenjournal.com/free-range-chickens/

If free ranging, yes enough hiding spots but as you know I am sure it is 100%.

I don't free range bc of hawks, fox and whatever else is lurking in the shadows so not much advice but good luck! I would be terrified as well.

Back
Top Bottom